Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blane_in_ms

Chocolate Mint, talk to me!

Blane_in_MS
18 years ago

alright mint lovers, I just happened to find a chocolate mint plant at Huttos, in Jax, MS and let me tell ya what....it is the best herb ive ever had! I told my wife to come out here and pick one of these leaves, and ill pick one, then well eat them at the same time ...right? Wow!! Our eyes just lit up at one another like we were little kids at the ice cream palor! Then she picked one for each child...they thought we were going to make ice cream...AAAAhhhhhhg...this plant is so addictive!! so where do I go from here? put it in the ground?...or transplant it? what? come on experts, this is my 1st choc-mint and my family just loves it!!!!:)

Comments (13)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Well, if you love it that much, you COULD put it in the ground and let it take over your entire patch - and the neighbourhood, and possibly the world! Like any mint, it has a very aggressive root system and will spread everywhere. And as if that wasn't bad enough, every runner (above and below ground) will also create numerous new plants. It's worse than the Triffids!!

Or, which I recommend, you plant it into as large a pot as you can, and be prepared to repot it at least twice a year. Each time you repot, you can divide the roots to make more plants. Repotting will be necessary to stop it from becoming rootbound and choking itself to death. Keep it moist but not wet, provide excellent drainage for it, and you've got it forever and aye.

And yes, it IS a bit yummy, isn't it? Chop some into ice cream, or add some to any chocolate dessert or drink.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Or, and this is my favorite. you can put one or two leaves in each cube,with water of course, and freeze them in the ice tray for addition to water or tea during the summer.

• desert_cat_ca
    18 years ago

and boy will this herb take over..i have a huge mint garden in my backyard..previous owners planted a herb garden..and i've tried and tried to get rid of this plant but know such luck..i'm mean it's every where..i have chocolate and catnip,spearmint..you name it have it..

• cziga
    18 years ago

I grew chocolate mint for the first time last year. I loves it but found it difficult to find a lot of stuff to use it in.

It was a spreader, but very close to the ground level of the pot, and started to spill over the edges. I was think of growing it in a hanging pot this year, kind of like a hanging plant. What do you think? I hope it will work out . . .

Other than eating the leaves fresh, I also really want to find some food/dessert dishes to use this unique flavor in.

• Blane_in_MS
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hello and thanks for the advise! I have St. Augustine grass here in Miss, so...more mint and less mowing will be ok by me lol.

• farslayr
    18 years ago

Hey desert cat! Got any extra you'd be willing to send me SASE.?

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon powdered chocolate mint
    1 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups dark chocolate bits
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and chocolate mint. Beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until creamy. Stir in chocolate bits and walnuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking trays. Bake at 190C for 8-10 minutes. If desired, add 6 tablespoons cocoa and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil while beating in the eggs.

• alison
    18 years ago

Chop them up and use them anywhere you might use mint; ice cream, cookies, cakes, ice tea. I like to take a big handful and cover it with sugar; let the sugar absorp the flavors, then use the sugar in baking. Chop the leaves over fuit salad -- a nice bright taste!

• dpinker1
    18 years ago

I just love the chocolate mint and can purchase it at the Syracuse Market. I grow it in pots on my deck so it won't take over and freeze it for the winter. Love it in tea!

• jillrm
    17 years ago

I have chocolate mint growing with my thyme in SE side of house enclosed by sidewalks, but it does try to wind around and escape - have to watch it. I'm glad to find some uses for it here! Jill

• debbie26111
    17 years ago

I made jelly out of it. Yummy. DEbbie in NEbr.

• frozenndusk
    17 years ago

I take one leaf of chocolate mint, and one leaf of Stevia rebaudiana, roll them together and nibble. Better than Altoids!! And yes, quite addictive!

• tno_newoldz_com
    12 years ago

Duuudes - you're missing 2 of the best uses
    1- put a few sprigs into the pot of your fresh made coffee
    2- add to almost any rum drink

For that matter - add rum to your just made choco-mint coffee!