Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcrazyplantlady

How can I Contain my Rascally Mints?

thatcrazyplantlady
14 years ago

I've been growing a variety of mints for years. I love all the different fragrances of them and can't help "petting" them when I am near them. But those rascals just won't stay put, no matter what I do.

I've tried planting them in pots sunk into the ground, but they find the holes in the bottom and they're off and running.

The way that has worked best for me is to use those brick corner edgers and make a "box" out of those. (Four of them make a perfect square) Then I lined the box with the thick potting soil bags, added soil and planted the mint. That lasted a couple of years, but over winter, those rascals worked their way out of the boxes and under my soil, so I now have large patches of each one.

I'm afraid I'm just going to have to make a concrete trough for each variety and contain it that way. But I'm afraid they'll die since I rarely water and it gets pretty hot and dry here.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I now have silver mint trying to take over my yard. It's my least favorite mint and I may just cull it completely from my gardens. All the others I have, I'd like to keep but they must behave!

Comments (5)