Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galiana_gw

Purple Opal Basil Questions

galiana
11 years ago

This year I decided to try a new variety and I've started a few purple opal basil seeds in containers (organic soilless seed starter in sterilized yogurt cups with holes drilled in). Two odd things have been happening, though:

1. About half of the basil plants are the true dark purple shown on the Baker Creek seed packet label, while half are green with purple splotches. The plants look very healthy indeed, and there's no discernible health difference between the 100% purple ones and the 50% purple ones.

2. Two of the seedlings (out of 15) never got more than about an inch tall. The true leaves are half the size of pinky nail and very tightly curled, while the cotyledons were normal sized.

I did the microwave sterilization trick to the growing medium before filling the yogurt cups and adding the seeds, and have treated everyone alike, so I'm not sure what could be going on.

Have any of y'all experienced either situation #1 or situation #2? Do you have any insight into why this might be happening?

Comments (2)