Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirklander

Starting a herbal tea garden in Seattle

kirklander
13 years ago

I have researched the use of herbal teas for headaches, stress and depression and come up with the following list of herbs. I have sourced these and I am waiting to get past the last frost here in Seattle (Zone 8). I am looking for any additional herbs in this category that I can add to those I will be growing. I am looking for suggestions.

Common Betony

Lemon Thyme

Cowslip

Catnip

Lemon Catnip

Bergamot, Violet Queen

Applemint

Orange Mint

Lime Balm

Hyssop

St JohnâÂÂs Wart

Borage

Lemon Balm

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

valerian (nice for relaxing), raspberry leaf (calming, and wonderful for women's nourishment plus it tastes great), and if you like slightly minty flavors I like nepita catarina or nepetella. It's not too strong but the flavor is strong enough that if your brew isn't the tastiest, it can add a nice flavor.

Your garden sounds like it will be both pretty, and useful!

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

no lemon grass?
    And where are the tea leaves?
    This all sounds great...mmmm

• herbalbetty
    13 years ago

Skullcap, chamomile, passionflower, feverfew are all useful for certain types of headaches and stress.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

You have a nice list.

BTW, just gardening out in the sun and fresh air is good for combating stress, depression, and headaches. :)

I would also add some plants for beauty - calendula, nasturium, violets, and roses are all nice edible herbs with beautiful flowers. The beauty of the blooms can increase the peace and serenity you feel in the garden.

FataMorgana

• luckynes13
    13 years ago

You have a good list. I'll have to add some of yours to my herb/tea garden.
    Peppermint is a good because it clears the sinuses. But plant it in a pot.
    Red Raspberry for the leaves as well as the fruit.
    Parsley.
    Fennel
    dill

Nes

• seysonn
    13 years ago

Good ideas and suggestions are already given. I would like to touch on few other issues:
    1) Seattle WA gets a lot of rain, drizzles and overcast skies. I knw this because I have relatives living there. Fo this reason, and b'c most herbs that I know of, like well drained soil, your garden should be raised from its surrounding, by about a foot, atleast.
    2) Most herbs(that I know of) like/prefer slightly alkaline soil(PH = 7+). Keep that in mind.
    3) Some of the herbs that you plan to grow, are very aggressive , if not invasive: such as LEMON BALM, BORAGE, MINTS...So keep that in mind too. I have learned and am convinced that mints should be kept out of herbs garden. Lemon balm propagates by seeds beyond belief and it can get very big. But if you prevent it from going to seed, there should be no problem.