Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any herbs that dont like pine bark mulch?

Posted by taniaa z9 Australia (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 23:05

Hi, having bought our first home, I have finally planted my herb garden. I'm wondering if any of the following herbs dont like pine bark mulch - lemongrass, vietnamese mint, flat leaf parsley, curley parsley, peppermint, sweet basil, garlic chives, shallots, marjoram, thyme and oregano.
I have been told that most annual flowers dont like this form of mulch, thus my question.
Previously, my herbs have been planted in pots, and I used pebbles to mulch, but I dont want to use this in my garden beds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any herbs that dont like pine bark mulch?

I wouldn't use any pine bark mulch around herbs. The pine needles and bark tend to give off 'chemicals' that herbs don't like. The mulch is mainly to stop weeds from sprouting, so it shouldn't be used around herbs. Ever notice that not much grows under a pine tree?

o
RE: Any herbs that dont like pine bark mulch?

Are there any herbs which DO like pine bark mulch, I wonder?

You and your herbs will be much happier with some sort of straw mulch. I use sugar-cane mulch because it's cheap and readily available where I live. Your local gardening centre/nursery will have several choices for you, and can advise on the best. Just make sure the mulch is well and truly dead and dry, and try to select one which doesn't have seeds in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here