Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cilantro Help

Posted by hopeitgrows 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 0:06

I bought a Cilantro plant and replanted into a medium sized pot. I was looking for information on why my leaves are yellowing on bottom and saw that I need to cut back the stems to about 2 inches to keep it from bolting. I also read that I should plant new seeds every two weeks in the pot to keep the plants coming. Does that mean do both or only keep planting seeds if I am going to let the cilantro go to flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cilantro Help

I strongly urge you to search the back posts of this forum. Cilantro/coriander is a very often talked about herb. It is an annual that is best grow from direct sown seed. Transplanting can make it bolt. And sooner rather than later, it will bolt regardless. Upon flowering and maturation of the seeds, it will die. Best to sow seed every two weeks or so (depending upon local growing conditions) if you want a steady supply of leaf.

And, no. Cutting it to only 2" tall will not keep it from bolting. It will only kill the plant because I'm sure there are no leaves below that 2" mark.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here