Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
putri_m

Rosemary as a border...Good or bad?

putri.m
13 years ago

I just purchased small rosemaries from a local nursery and wondered if it would be fine if i plant them as a border? Right now they are about 4inches in height and very sturdy so I thought of bordering my garden with them especially since they'll help repel unwanted insects. But I was uncertain if this was a good idea or not cause i read that rosemaries get quite big. If so, would pruning it be enough to maintain its size?

Oh by the way the location I'd like to plan them gets sun in the morning and sun to partial shade in the afternoon.

PLEASE give me advice, I'm very new at planting herbs.

~thanks

Comments (12)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Zone 6 is borderline at best for rosemary surviving the winter cold. If you want to try it, make sure to get the hardiest rosemary varieties like "Arp."

FataMorgana

• laura21774
    13 years ago

Yup rosemary can grow into a massive bush if you can get it to live through the winter. I so far have not had luck in that department in Western MD, but I did have a friend who lives 5 mins from me who had about a 5 foot rosemary bush after 3 yrs

• putri.m
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys.

Daisy, that is one big rosemary!Very healty i assume...

• nygardener
    13 years ago

I've seen it used as a border in northern California, where it grows very well. But I've never had it survive the winter.

Some people in our climate grow rosemary pots and move it into an unheated barn for the winter.

• californian
    13 years ago

I have three Tuscany Blue Rosemary plants that have formed a continuous hedge ten feet wide and three feet high. They are so healthy looking. The only pest seems to be spittle bugs, but the plant can grow faster than they can eat it. I spray then off with a hose. I also have a prostrate Rosemary plant that is hanging over my retaining wall.

• tomtuxman
    13 years ago

While not all zone 6's are the same, I've tried overwintering rosemary (can't recall which variety) here in mid-Hudson Valley zone 6b more than once and had zero luck each time.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Agreed. And not all locations in your gardens are created equally either. There are microclimates that can be used to your advantage.

I was rezoned a few years back to zone 6 from zone 5. Some things zone 6 hardy work and some don't. I've tried to overwinter rosemary "arp" 3 times, in different locations and all met with failure. Since rosemary is not one of my most favorite herbs, I've stopped trying to grow it.

FataMorgana

• User
    13 years ago

I spent the last couple of days reworking a section of my front yard. I had been growing the rosemary in a raised bed on the south side of the house (along with lavender). It did very well but started to get very crowded. So, I transplanted the rosemary plants (about two feet in diameter) to along the side the walkway leading up to the house. I plan on keeping it as a formal hedge (like boxwood).--Only I hope I didn't plant to close to the walkway now. I don't mind if it overlaps some and I guess I can just keep pruning back. Rosemary outside is easy (where hardy)--I never had luck with them in the house though!

• natal
    13 years ago

Couple years ago I took pics when we went on a walk. This house had rosemary planted along the parking apron and walkway.

Daisy, your chaste tree doesn't get any taller than that? Mine has to be close to 15'.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

OK, I just gotta ask: what kind of insects are expecting your rosemary to repel? Rosemary can play host to spider mites, aphids, whitefly, caterpillars, leaf hoppers (like spittlebugs), mealybugs, and more. In my experience, the spider mites are the worst pest of these plants.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Rhizo 1 - I was just on the point of asking that question. Rosemary thrives in my climate and I've never noticed any effect on bugs. It has no particular pests of its own here other than a few spittle bugs although rosemary beetle has recently been introduced inadvertently from mainland Europe. Bees like the flowers but on the other hand snails love to hide in the twiggy interior so I don't think the overall effect is either positive or negative. Rosemary oil IS a pest repellant but it has to be extracted and applied first.