Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary Help

Posted by AphroditesMuse 8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 2:46

Last year early to mid summer I got a, maybe six inch long, rosemary cutting from a friend. I was able to root it in water and when I planted it, it had a ton of long roots. It has been outdoors since late summer, early fall, and still hasn't died yet, after an extremely mild winter in the Northwest, but it still hasn't grown. I noticed when I planted it that the roots had grown, but the above ground portion of the plant is still a little stick. It has a few yellow leaves around the bottom, the top is vibrant green and it's been like that for as long as I can remember, but it still wont grow any larger. How can I help it grow on a budget?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary Help

Well it wouldn't grow over the autumn and winter anyway, so that's not a surprise. Rosemary is a woody shrub and by their nature this type of plant grows much slower than annuals or herbaceous perennials. As long as the roots are steadily establishing I wouldn't worry about visible top growth. If it has grown a couple of inches by the end of this year it is doing fine. The bottom leaves will naturally yellow and fall because even evergreens have to renew their foliage. Again that's not a problem unless all the leaves start yellowing.

o

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know! :)

o

I do not know about others but my Rosemary did not really get started until the second year. As I love Rosemary I have started to keep taking cuttings as I can not have too many plants, if I do I can always find a new home for the extras.

o

Thanks for the heads up. I started some seeds before I knew how difficult they were to grow. I think I'm going to buy a more mature plant while I try to work my magic on the cutting and seeds. :)

o

If the bottom leaves are yellow it means they need fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here