Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsmdan95

Where to get a Black pepper plant?

dsmdan95
16 years ago

I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this but I think it is so i,ll post it here. Where can I get a Black pepper plant perferraly somthing I could go out and buy. I looked on the web and didn't really see any?

Comments (19)

• herbalbetty
    16 years ago

I got mine through Companion Plants in Ohio. Not sure if they have a regular store, I ordered mail order.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

how is yours doing betty? I lust after one too... but it's so dry here, not sure if it would do well.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

What does it take to successfully grow a Black Pepper plant? It would be a cool thing to grow.... IF possible.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Westelle, I think it's one of those tropicals that HAS to have high humidity... I may be wrong... but I think I've read that... sigh...
    No sign of humidity here! My poor cats have static! poor things.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Cats with static... too funny!

• herbalbetty
    16 years ago

Well, mine is most definitely grown as a houseplant! And it is growing quite slowly. But, I keep the house on the cool side in winter. Usually 65 or so. I'm sure black pepper likes it warmer. I have it in a southern facing window. Let's hope summer temps speed things up a bit.

• dsmdan95
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What type of plant are they ? Are they a vine do thay need alot of space?

• herbalbetty
    16 years ago

It's a vine.

• vdixit
    16 years ago

Heat and humidity are important. Heat is a definite essential though. These plants are grow in South India-extremely hot and humid where frost is almost unheard of.
    They will not be able to live through winters in the US.
    Hope this helps

• dsmdan95
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah so then in Iowa is a must house plant then huh?

• herbalbetty
    16 years ago

I would think anywhere but southern Florida it would be a house plant. It can summer outdoors, of course. But it is extremely sensitive to any sort of cool/cold.

• herboholic
    16 years ago

Had no idea what this plant was so I looked around. Found this. Obviously it's the "hot" thing right now:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/273204_ciscoe10.html

• nygardener
    16 years ago

herboholic, I think yours is a black chili pepper, not the source of black peppercorns (Piper nigrum).

• blackwill
    14 years ago

I know this is three years old, but...

I grew the "ornamental" Black Pearl pepper horboholic was referring to last year. Very nice plant, very hot peppers. I would use it as an accent plant, though, as it does not seem to produce an abundance of peppers.

As for Piper Nigrum, I purchased seeds from Whatcom Seed Company (seedrack.com) several months ago, but have had little success with germination so far. But, it is still early in the year, and the temperature has not yet reached the 70's-80's reliably. I did have them under grow lights in a heated room, and the seeds did plump up, but have yet to germinate. If I remember, I'll post an update here if/when they start to grow. This is one of the many "experiment" plants I have at the house (along with Rice Paper Plant, Egyptian Papyrus, Black Bat Plant, Passionfruit, Long Pepper, etc, etc.)

• mackenzie_man_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hey blackwill! Just wondering how your experiment with the peppercorn plant is going? can you give me some tips?

• PRO
    11th Hour Productions
    13 years ago

I got my Black peppercorn plant from Eldon Tropicals here in Florida. I would recommend them for anybody looking for good plants

http://www.eldontropicals.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Black Peppercorn Plant

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Logees, a good mail-order (and retail) supplier in Connecticut, also sells them.

• nilaa
    12 years ago

Did any of you have success growing the black pepper plant?

Does it produce any peppers or is it just ornamental. the leaves look very pretty.

Thanks!

• HU-947390
    7 years ago

Hi. I''m looking for a black pepper plant. The Piper Nigrum Does anybody know if these plants also are availeble in Europe? Its not possible to shipping these plants from Amerika to Europe. I hope someone can help me. Thanks! Regards Arina, The Netherlands

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone