Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_in_portland

basil and tomatoes defying the odds?

erin_in_portland
13 years ago

Hi all,

Newbie gardener here. Forgive my ignorance. Seriously, this is my first year gardening and I know nothing.

I bought some basil and tomatoes as starts back in Mid-May, when it was looking like we would have a normal summer. Figured I'd plant them in the following few days. Well, the rain and cold started immediately after that and hasn't stopped. Frustrating.

Anyway the plants are in my bright bay windowsill and incredibly are still alive, even though they are still in the tiny pots they came in (the basils are in those mulchy earthpot things which are intended to be put directly into the ground, but the tomatoes are in black plastic potlings). Unbelievably to me one of the tomato plants even has developed small yellow flowers.

My questions:

1. The basil looks relatively healthy but is getting very "stemmy"--i.e. tall, with not that many leaves. What to do?

2. Generally speaking, is there hope for these plants to survive?

At this moment I am intending on planting them outside on Saturday or Sunday, because the weather forecast at the moment says no more sub-50F nights after that. I figure I'll wrap some of that harvestguard around the plants to keep them warm. Good plan?

Comments (6)