Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade herbs versus sun herbs...

Posted by megajas z7 VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 7:50

Hello,

I have an area in my backyard that I am going to lattice-fence off into my herb garden as raised beds.. unfortunately, after studying this area, it appears to be mostly shade ... some sun during portions of the day in early morning & late afternoon. So, I want to try and find out which herbs will do well in this setting and which I should relegate to my sunnier beds. The herbs I'm interested in at this time are: Rosemary, parsley, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, cilantro, chives, garlic, beebalm, calendula, nasturtium, borage and catmint/mints.

-Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade herbs versus sun herbs...

Well, it's too late for you to plant garlic, that will need to be planted in the fall. The only thing that I can think of in your list that can take such a low amount of sun would be the mints and maybe the basil. The rest, would do best in full sun. Virginia has hot summers, over 80 right? I think the cilantro and the parsley will bolt. both of those are winter plants for me.

o

Except for the parsley and coriander (sorry, I can't get used to the Spanish/Mexican translation!) and the mints (not the catmint), which can tolerate some shade, the rest are sunlovers (sorry Heathen, basil does best in full sun).

Here in the subtropics, coriander will bolt even in winter. I've got my parsley (curly and Italian) both in full sun, and they don't bolt. Mints burn in the sun, here.

Gee, 80F is 26C. And that's our average daytime temp right now - only a couple of weeks away from winter! Hot for some, maybe, but not for me, and not for any of the plants (except coriander) you want to grow!!

o

Cilantro likes total shade and a bit cooler than 80 degrees.

o

Try sweet cicely, a nice anise-flavored shade-loving herb. Sweet woodruff is good for scent (dried) and as a garnish for apple pies.

o

basil fries in full sun at my house... I have to give it mostly shade. I live in a mediterranean climate, on the hot side. I have this discussion a lot. Full sun tropicals have to be in shade at my house too, or they look so burnt the poor things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here