Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Basil

Posted by cookie8 zone 5 ON (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 8:32

How do you grow your basil - do you plant individual seedlings or clusters of say 5-20? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Basil

I grew seedlings under lights and planted out w/ my toms. Many people grow direct from seed in the garden. Last year my wife planted a container full of seeds. It had at least 30 or 40 that never got more than a couple inches tall. The one I planted seperate grew about 4ft tall. I grew about 18 from seed that were 5'' to 12'' when I planted them out. I expect ea of them to be 3-4ft tall.

o

Seperate, as if they are bunched they compete and will all be stunted.

o

Thanks. I bought two plants of basil (lime and Thai) with probably 30+ clumped together in a 3"pot. I will thin majorly.

o

How do you grow your basil

Direct sowing about the time I plant the corn and beans. I never start it indoors.

FataMorgana

o

You can start the seeds closely. Once they grow true leaves you can separate them and transplant them anywher, anyway you want. In one cell of 12 pack nursery tray I had abot 6-8 seedlings.Now they are transplanted into pots and in the garden and growing. The trick is that you water them (almost soak them in water)before separating/transplanting.
Water thoroughly again after planting. Flood them gently, to pack the soil around the roots/to get the air out.
Also, do it later in the day.So by the next morning sunshine they will have time to adjust. Of course, the seedling must have been exposed/hardened to outdoor/full sun for a few days befor transplanting.

o

I plant the young basil, started from seed in my greenhouse, in the garden around May 1st. They're spaced about 18" apart.

o

I have found that basil is VERY tolerant of being transplanted, especially if you transplant on a cool and/or cloudy day plus make a point of giving it extra water, just with a watering can, for a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here