Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oregano plants

Posted by WendyTee Virginia (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 8:52

I have some Oregano plants that survived through the Winter. They are very big and healthy. Are the leaves as good for cooking (by good, I mean flavorful) the second year? I am wondering the same thing about my parsley plants. They don't look quite as healthy as the Oregano plants.

This post was edited by WendyTee on Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oregano plants

Oregano is perennial and will come back year after year. Parsley is biennial and will sometimes survive the winter into its second year when it will flower and go to seed. It might self sow but it is safest to resow parsley every year.

o

OMG, my oregano is taking over our whole yard after 3 years! It escaped its raised bed and is popping up through the pavers of the patio, so I cook with it at every available turn! Will be making oregano pesto this year, any plenty of it!

Second-year parsley is certainly "good" to cook with, but it won't give you many leaves before it bolts, flowers. & seeds.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Thu, May 9, 13 at 20:36

My parsley generally lasts about 2+ months in it's 2nd year before going to seed. I harvest as much of it as I can. I find it tasty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here