Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help For Hubby, Please

Posted by iam3killerbs 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 9:13

My husband would like to add anise, caraway, fennel, and coriander to his herb garden -- all for seed production.

They seem to be fairly sizeable plants and our garden space is limited. How much seed might we expect a reasonably healthy plant to produce?

I can use 1-2 cups of caraway seed cooking in a year and maybe 1/2-1 cup each of the others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help For Hubby, Please

I do not have a figure ,but I know that you can have much much more than enough for planting next year and years after that but maybe not eough for colinary use. last year I collected about one third spice bottle of seeds from one dill plant. That was an average plant.

o

You would need quite a few plants to get that much seed. But remember, you can put these herb plants in amoungst your border flowers if needed where they are quite pretty and add another demension to your flower beds.

Suggestion: When the seedheads start to set seed (green) I always carefully enclose the heads in small paper bags or bags made from nylon stockings to keep the seeds from falling off when ripe.

Or, you can watch them carefully, and when the seeds start to change color pull the whole plant and put the heads of each kind upside down in a paper bags to finish ripening and drying.

o

Conditions, plant variations, and plant varieties will all make seed production hard for me to crystal-ball exactly for you. But I'd have to guess 6-12 plants should maybe get you in the ballpark for the amounts you are looking for.

Westelle gave some good advice. Many people have dedicated garden beds - flowers here, herbs there, veggies some place else. But some plants, like the herbs you mentioned, are quite attractive mixed in other garden beds. Just be sure to use no chemicals in places you wish to harvest food items from.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks.

I've got tomatoes and eggplant in my flower beds due to a shortage of space, but we can probably manage to find space for a few of them.

It will be a start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here