Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Is parsley difficult to grow?

socks
13 years ago

I've had trouble with parsley--a couple years ago and again this year as well.

The parsely plant is in full sun, soil well amended, plenty of water. Yet, it's not very green, not growing. It has just been sitting there for a couple months, not growing, not dying. I think it's Italian parsley.

Comments (12)

• t-bird
    13 years ago

I have found it easy - but germination is long in coming - by the time it's poking through - I've forgotten I planted it! About 6-8 weeks.

Keep it watered - it'll come through eventually...

• socks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This was a plant purchased from the nursery, not germinating.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I found that when parsley is planted in a pot the pot must be deep since parsley has a long tap-root..... it just seems to do better when it has "leg room".
    Even if it's planted in the ground it still needs deep root-room.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Disturbing the roots and changing the pot at this late date (for the plant) may cause it to bolt or flower. Parsley dies after flowering.

FataMorgana

• namfon
    13 years ago

Zone 9 and June may be the issue.

Some zone 9ers may have cool summers but mild winters but if you have 85F / 30C + type weather I would guess that it is too warm for the parsley to thrive. My Parsley grows much faster when temps are below 70F then when it is above 80F, you also said it was in full sun. Have you ever grown parsley in the fall or winter in part sun in your climate ?

• nygardener
    13 years ago

Because of the taproot, I've found that single parsley plants bought young do much better than clumps or aged plants. Unfortunately, the latter are more common in nurseries.

It does take a long time to germinate! I let some parsley plants go to seed last fall, and the dropped seeds just started sprouting about a week ago.

• sheila65
    13 years ago

I grow Italian parsley all summer long with my tomatoes and it has thrived even in the summer Sacramento heat. This spring may have been a little too cool and rainy for it to grow well until now. I always grow from plants too, I tried germinating seeds with little success. Just give it a little more time now that the weather is warmer.

• tracydr
    13 years ago

I plant mine from seed in the winter and it does really well. I soak the seeds overnight.
    Mine have done so well I had volunteers coming up in the gravel!

• tracydr
    13 years ago

My parsley is bolting, even in the shade. It's too hot right now.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Last summer's parsley in my garden is bolting now too. It's not the heat for me, it's just that time for the parsley.

I direct sow parsley in my garden every year, about the time I think it must have been dud seed, there is it sprouting. I think the key to direct sowing parsley is to forget that it takes so long to germinate and plan to put something else in the spot and low-and-behold, there it is! ;)

FataMorgana

• brhgm
    13 years ago

It's getting too hot in your zone. Mine died down a few weeks ago.

• MGPinSavannah
    13 years ago

In my experience parsley does fine for me in mostly full sun, with a few hours of shade a day. It self-seeds, and before I redid my raised beds this year I had lots of little volunteers sprouting up. I make sure to leave at least one or two plants to overwinter and go to seed the following year.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012