Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Blue Basil

Posted by charlie29485 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 9:54

Newbie here. I purchased an African Blue Basil last week with long purple flowers. However, I noticed that since it was a woody plant I thought it would be okay and would continue to grow. Am I wrong? Should I go ahead and cut off the flowers now? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Appreciate the help. (BTW they told me it was a purple basil, so it shows you how much I know!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Blue Basil

I could be completely off base here...but, If I bought a basil plant now that had flowers on it..I'd for sure cut them off.
It's too early in the season for them to be flowering would be my train of thought on that.
I cut the flowers off most things right now though...except of course my flower plants. lol

o

The following information is courtesy of the Herb Society of America:

African Blue

Ocimum Dark Opal x O. kilmandscharicum African Blue

African Blue is a large bushy plant growing to 4'. Not usually considered a culinary basil, but useful in flower arrangements and as a landscape plant. Flavor is sweet, but to some this basil has strong balsam tones with a hint of turpentine.

I don't know where you live, but down here in south Texas I treated my African Blue as a perennial. It lived for about 5 years before I pulled it up because it had gotten so woody and "wild" looking. It is a hybrid, i.e. the seeds are sterile. I let it bolt out all the time; never cut off any of the flowers. But then it might have lived a long time because I'm in zone 9a (actually living on the water more like zone 9b). Anyway, I would just let it go and see what happens.

o

Thank you so much for your responses. I went to a nursery and saw that they had a huge african basil growing in a large pot. The tag says it can be used as a culinary herb, but searching through the web I found the article mentioned above. I am so confused. I'm in South Carolina, Zone 8. I'm going to give this type of basil a shot and make some pesto. I'll let you know what happens!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here