Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onederw

oregano

onederw
12 years ago

One can get cross-eyed trying to figure out which oregano is the best for cooking. The amount of information and disinformation out there is mind boggling. What is the preferred oregano for cooking? What is the flavor difference between Italian oregano and Greek oregano? I'm in hot dry inland SoCal, so I can grow either one. Is there a particular cultivar that is preferred?

Comments (10)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I personally like the common oregano - the no special name or cultivar oregano, Origanum vulgare. Sometimes it's called "wild marjoram." It grows very well here in the snow-belt and comes back stronger each year no matter how much you harvest. I've tried some named cultivars but they are never as robust as the no-name originals.

I would suggest visiting a local nursery that sells culinary herbs, many do. See what oreganos they have. Rub some leaves and see which you prefer the fragrance of. Try it in your garden. See how it tastes in the kitchen. If you like it, good! If not, give that one away and try another one. Small oregano plants are pretty cheap. It's all about what you like not what someone on some website is blabbering about. :)

Make sure to come back and tell us what you end up liking!

FataMorgana

• onederw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, FataMorgana!
    When in doubt, trust your own sense of smell and taste!

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Make sure you plant your oregano where it can spread as it loves to stretch out. My Greek oregano covers an area four foot by four foot. Dies back if we get a freeze but bounces back as soon as the weather warms up again. FataMorgana is right that is why there are so many different restaurants and cook books. We all like different foods and smell it the first sense we use to tell if we want to eat any foods.

• EnjoyHerbalGardening
    12 years ago

Peoples choice in taste are different. Go the your nursery close your eyes and smell. The one you decide is THE RIGHT CHOICE! Have fun!

• cleemc
    12 years ago

My favorite for everyting is Italian Oregano. But as said before it is what tastes best to you.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I like the plain old oregano and sweet marjoram. I don't like variegated oregano, it's tasteless. Sure is pretty though, so it gets to stay.

• eibren
    12 years ago

Hmmm...I prefer Greek oregano so that's what I planted this year.

Maybe I should not expect that one to come back in my zone.

:o/

I used to grow the basic oregano mentioned above, and it would always return.

• cerri
    12 years ago

I enjoy both my Italian and Greek oreganos,but my favorite is my big pot of Hot n' Spicy!

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Where did you get hot n spicy? Never heard of that one.
    My variegated is having a heck of a time getting started. I picked a typical spot for oregano, full sun, clay, not so great soil. I think maybe my Doberman has stomped it too many times. It seems smaller every time I look at it. Poor thing.
    Maybe when it cools off this fall it will have a chance to grow or I can move it to a less traveled area.

• LMoon310
    12 years ago

I just got some hot n spicy the other day at a garden center that always has stuff that other nurseries and box stores don't. I picked it because it was one of the only things thriving in this heat. I'm guessing it likes heat because it's spicy, like peppers.