Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batyabeth

Basil bug damage

batyabeth
12 years ago

I've been all over the web trying to identify these little buggers, and come up with zilch. I apologize for the pics, not the best quality. Tiny, about the size of a pinhead, look like beetles, jump when disturbed. Any takers as to what it is? I'm making a garlic-Castille soap potion as we speak, but that only affects soft bodies, right? and I'm not sure this qualifies. Thanks!

{{gwi:888796}}

{{gwi:888798}}

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

That's a flea beetle.

• nickiadkins
    12 years ago

I agree..flea beetle. They usually have little holes all over the leaves. With my own research, It doesn't harm the plant at all and make sure you just wash your leaves well.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I hate flea beetles. I don't have issues with them each year but when I do, they do a world of hurt to various brassicas like my mustards, tatsoi, chinese cabbage and more. Never seen them go after basil though.

FataMorgana

• batyabeth
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Now at least I know what I'm dealing with. I'll sniff around for a solution, and try the garlic spray anyway, as some sites recommend it.
    Fata, my two basil in the upper flower garden are infested with them, and so far the lower veggie gardens - also with more basil - are pest free of anything, but that will change, as we all know. Do you have any pest control ideas that don't involve large cash outlays?

• tracydr
    12 years ago

You could try planting some radishes to trap them in and then use sticky traps among the radishes or spray the radishes.