Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oregano/ Basil Questions

Posted by Jamin724 Rhode Island (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 10:42

Sorry for the double post I do not see a delete topic when I go to edit :/. Quick question I planted both basil and oregano about a month ago and the basil is fine but the oregano has barely grown any. I know they grow/germinate at different rates but they still look like little itty bitty plants they are in the middle. Is it normal for oregano to grow this slow? Also living in New England would it be safe to transplant my basil in the ground it has only 1 set of true leaves or should I use a small pot first then the ground? Finally I am sorry I just keep thinking of more questions. I have read to transplant basil in clumps and individual what are your suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oregano/ Basil Questions

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 22:30

Oregano does grow very slowly from seed. You might want to consider picking up a plant or two from a nursery though your plants will probably eventually form a good mound of oregano.

Not sure what zone you're in 5 or 6? Anyways it's best to wait until nighttime temperatures aren't dropping under 50F before planting basil out.

Basil does just fine planted in clumps though you might want to thin them a bit with scissors.

o

Agree with gicore.
Basils are heat lovers. In cold weather, even if they survive, they will not do anything in terms of growth.

o

Sorry I do not know what Zone I am in I am in Rhode Island. It gets to be about 70 in the day but the nights it drops down to 40 degrees it probably wont be in the 50's until summer time.

o

Jamin,

Soil temperature also plays a role. In the case of warm weather veggies, the roots need warmer medium. As long ast soil temperaturs is 65F, cold nights might be tolerated.
So my advice to you is to cover around the basil palnt base with black plastid. It will absorb heat from sun(or air) during the day but will not let the soil cool down too fast.
You can also mound around the base of plants with black mulch. Why black? because blaclk color traps heat waves and woul not reflect. That is the quite opposite of white.

o

Your zone is probably 6b, unless you are right on the water which might make you zone 7. I'm in RI too. It is still pretty cool for basil to take off. I'm going to put seed in pots outside tomorrow and maybe a month from now, plant them in the ground.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here