Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hellojello_gw

newly potted basil plant in window box disappeared

hellojello
13 years ago

I have a perplexing situation that gives me the heebie jeebies, and I'd like to avoid this happening again, but I have no idea what caused it.

For about a month, I grew some sweet basil from one of those $1 packets that come with the little pellet of soil that you just add water to. It grew to a nice clump of leafy greens about 3 inches tall.

So I transferred the basil to a window box that sits outside my kitchen, which is not accessible from the ground level -- it hangs from a window one story up from the ground. Last year, we grew herbs successfully in this box and used them throughout the summer, without any issues.

I was away from home for a few days, but when I returned on Wednesday to check the basil, it was completely gone without a trace. No roots, no leaves, no hole in the soil, no signs of the plant having fallen down to the ground.

So basically in a matter of 3 days, something stole my basil, and there's no way it could have been a person (unless they set up and climbed a ladder to get to it, which is unlikely) or an animal who walks the ground (unless they managed to climb up one story up the side of the house with no support, which also seems unlikely). I also didn't see any signs of bugs.

Could it have been a bird? Do birds eat basil?

I just found the whole thing so odd because we didn't have this issue last year. And I really want to have my herbs but I don't want this happening again.

I did some searching of the archives but I only found instances of bugs or gophers getting to the plants, and my situation just doesn't appear to apply to that.

If anyone has insight or advice, I appreciate it.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator