Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margowicz

hardening off plants

margowicz
10 years ago

Is it at all possible to harden off a plants without a greehouse?

I am looking to get coriander parsley and fennel to name a few I don't see why I should pay 1.50 per plant when I can get a pack of seeds for a couple pound anyway I tried to put it out the back coriander but nothing still looks pretty much the same I am wondering if I took them out of the propagtor to soon or maybe need to harded them off which I have no Idea how to do

Any help please thanks.

PS I am in Zone 9 I think N Ireland

Comments (3)

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Of course you can! Parsley, fennel and coriander can be sown outdoors now anyway, so they won't need hardening off. I don't sow fennel because it self sows. But I direct sowed parsley and coriander three weeks ago on the allotment. They are just coming up and will start growing away when the weather warms up. No special treatment needed. I would get your pots filled with compost and sow your seeds straight in them outside. You could put a bit of glass, plastic or cling film over the top until they germinate but it's not really necessary.

To harden plants off just put them outside one day when it is not too wet and windy. Take them in at night. Do this for a couple of days and if the weather doesn't get any colder leave them out completely after about 5 days.

Most posters on GW are in the US and their big problem is accustoming plants to harsh sunlight. For us it's getting them used to cold, wind and wet.

I still think you are over-thinking this herb growing business and making it more complicated than it needs to be.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

As Flora suggests, moving plants inside for nights or inclement days is an excellent no cost scenario. I do a lot of "winter sowing." It is starting seeds (usually those that need winter to break their seed dormancy) in recycled plastic containers. As spring comes on and they start to sprout, you cut openings and open up the containers to gradually harden off your seedlings. I suppose much the same could be done to harden off wee seedlings. Kind of like mini cloches. Check out the FAQs on the Winter Sowing forum for ideas and info.

FataMorgana

• margowicz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks alot I fired some out today.

I am trying learn these things I ah don't have anyone I can talk to and ask so I gotta turn here the jekka book is limited but who better to ask than those who are doing it now and for years believe it or not but I do listen just the mildew was bugging me but I threw away anything that had it I now only keep one indoors thats a pineapple sage rest is out the back.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner