Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves on Basil turning brown

Posted by rzwahr 7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 11:23

I'm having a problem with my basil - the leaves are starting to turn brown from the center outward. They aren't drying up, but rather it almost looks like it is varigeted now. Here is a picture I took of a leaf I picked:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/189580/IMG_0127.JPG

My plants are in a spot that gets about 1/2 day of full sun, and they have gotten watered a lot lately. Is this due to overwatering, or is this some kind of disease? If its a disease, what can I do to treat it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves on Basil turning brown

Leaves look old. If this is at the base of the plant up to about half way, it can be due to age. Overwatering basil will usually make leaves a bit yellow color, but it also can be due to poor soil conditions. The color is a sure sign of dying leaves.

o

I am having the exact same problem. My leaves look just like the ones in the picture. Any word on how to fix it? How do I get them back to the dark lush green. My soil is fine and my other herbs are fine. Any suggestions??

o

I brought some leaves to the local garden store and they told me it was being over watered, so to cut back some of the growth and cut back on the watering. Hopefully that will help!

o

You might need more sun.If its in a pot, put it in the sunniest spot.Also, if basil gets too cold, its leaves will burn brown to black.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here