Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19720659

Do you recognize this plant?

User
9 years ago

Here's a photo of a rescue plant that is doing quite well. I'm fairly certain it's an herb or vegetable- perhaps some sort of parsley or celery? I've compared it to the flat-leaf parsley I grow, and it isn't the same.

I took a tentative nibble of a leaf and it was pretty tasty- more flavorful than the flat-leaf parsley.

I've done several Google image searches, but haven't seen leaves that look quite like this, but perhaps that's because this is not a mature plant?

I have several of these rescues, and would love to get a positive ID.

Comments (9)

• river_city
    9 years ago

Lovage?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe that it could be lovage. One web site described it as smelling like limes, which threw me off, but another description said it smells like celery, and it definitely does.

And it's the closest match for leaves.

Thanks so much for the ID- I got about 4 small plants that were discards from a place that sells herbs and other plants. I'm looking forward to finding ways to use it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Research the ultimate size. You will need a much bigger pot or, better still, plant it in the ground. It's a very tall, attractive perennial which would not be out of place in your ornamental garden. Also needs plenty of moisture. Use it anywhere you'd use celery for flavouring.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I would agree with the lovage, although there is a smaller version called smallage or cutting celery. Both are used the same, just a size difference. Here, my lovage can get 5-6' tall with huge leaves. Smallage stays closer to 1' tall. Another id thing to check is that the smaller stems will be hollow.

The leaves and stems have a strong celery flavor, which gets stronger if you dry them. Good for soups, stuffings, salads (in small amounts-very strong), and for flavoring stocks. The stems are especially good for stocks- throw in a bag in the freezer until ready to use. It will keep growing throughout early spring thru summer, with the new growth having better flavor. The older leaves can get bitter, especially in the heat of summer. If it freezes in early spring, just chop of the stems and it will grow back.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! I'm very glad you mentioned the size. 6-7 feet tall? It's clearly a fast-grower, but I wasn't expecting that.

Luckily, we have room for iat least one or two, and they already seem appreciative of the compost, water and part sun they're getting.

Thanks for the heads-up re the size...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, ballonflower, for the info about smallage. I will be glad to have it either way, and we have room if it is lovage. I did check to be sure it's pretty heat-tolerant since our summers are rather steamy here. It sounds like it will be easy to grow- a lot less finicky than celery.

I'm looking forward to using the leaves and stems in soups, salads, etc. I really like the flavor.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by vmr423 on Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:56

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

I agreed, looks like lovage. I've grown lovage in partial shade or in early day only sun where it seems to enjoy itself quite a bit. You may wish to place it not only where its eventual size won't be an issue, but also where it is sheltered in the hottest parts of your day. I think you'll meet with better results.

FataMorgana

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, FataMorgana- we have lots of oaks, so lots of dappled shade.

It will certainly be hot, but not in full sun except for an hour or two in the morning. The kitchen garden is quite near the bird bath/feeder area, so it will get a daily drink when I go out to clean/refill the bird bath... I am cautiously optimistic that it will do well.