Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint patch.....gone?

Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:26

Can this be real?

About 9 years ago, I planted a little anonymous mint that I bought from a farmers market. Can't remember what it was called.

I had recently bought a new home, and I planted it where the previous garden had been by the 2 owners ago (the people I bought from had let it weed up - never buy a home in winter! It means the garden/yard is atrocious!), along with some veggies. Everything died due to my not being a gardener yet, and I abandoned gardening for about 4 years after the failure. The mint - however, lived on, coming back year after year and growing in this weedy area that I seldom tended. It eventually grew to cover about a 3' by 3-4' area, and I started harvesting it for smoothies. by mid summer it would be flower and lose flavor and I'd let it go.

It didn't come back this year. Not one mint leaf is peaking through. What could be the explanatory here?

I have peppermint I just planted last year in another part of the yard, which I nearly lost several times last heat/drought wave, is back and looking lovely.

Only now - I realize how much I loved this gentle spearmint that was always there for me.

Have you ever heard of a large mint patch just dying off spontaneously? I though they were indestructible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint patch.....gone?

Mint has died here, multiple times. The greatest mint success I've had is planting some mint I started from a cutting from mint I found growing wild nearby. It seems to like the conditions.

FataMorgana

o
RE: Mint patch.....gone?

They do love water and a drought could kill them in any zone. I have just started mine back as I let it get too dry. We do not worry about it spreading here as you just do not water those areas or like many pot them. They seem to enjoy the sun even here in Texas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here