Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best culinary herbs for indoors

Posted by vaherbmom va7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 11:28

What culinary herbs do well indoors (on plant stand or windowsill in sunny sunroom)? I would especially like to keep some going in pots through the winter.

I tried cilantro, basil and sage and they all seemed to do poorly.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best culinary herbs for indoors

I'm afraid that the general consensus within this forum is that it is very challenging to grow herbs inside. Most of them simply prefer the full sun, for one thing. That is difficult to duplicate even with artificial lighting.

o

that has unfortunately been my experience so far. Why do I continually read about "growing some herbs in a pot on the windowsill?"

o

Apartments, mobility issues, it's just something to try, or whatever the reason keep people trying to do it. They may have success for a while but eventually many of the herbs succumb to poor lighting, too much water, and insects. The posts here can back that up.

FataMorgana

o

I am in Zone 6 and even though I have a garden I try to bring some herbs indoors for winter. I have had rosemary, marjoram and lemon grass in containers that I leave outside in late spring and bring back indoors in early fall, for about 4 years now. I also plant garlic cloves for indoor use almost all year round. 5-6 cloves from grocery sotre garlic stuffed in potting mix in a 6-8 inch container will yield fresh garlic chives in 10-15 days.
I used to have Thyme and Lavender too, but those didnt survive beyond two years.

My guess is it is the uneven heating /cooling and drafts that get these plants more than anything else.

Hope this helps.

o

I've had really good luck with Rosemary, thyme, and oregano grown on my south facing windows...not so much luck with parsley, basil, or sage. I keep them pretty dry (mostly due to neglect?).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here