Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bedtime_gw

Dandelion Head - Prep and Usage

bedtime
10 years ago

I picked enough dandelion heads to fill a regular sized shopping bag. Dried them in the oven at 180F for 6 hours, then blended the dry dandelions down to a powder that can be stored in a mason jar.

The dried and blended dandelions have been compressed down about (wild guess) 10x due to being dehydrated and blended. I took a rolling pin and smashed them down even further so I could fit them all in. They fill a 1600 ml mason jar.

So you are probably wondering how they taste. I had my usual vegetable soup (potatoes, carrots, onions, beans and a few lemon tree leaves) and added one heaping tablespoon of the dandelion powder. It was so much better then expected. It was very sweet, so much that I'll just be using 3/4 tbsp next time. I also has a slight musky taste to it, which seems to suit vegetable soup well.

I've tried using the frozen dandelion heads (I have a shopping bags worth of them in the freezer as well) and I find the dried and blended powder to be so much more sweet, fresh, and tasty. It also has a nice soft texture to it which mimics that of ground flax seeds, unlike the powdery texture of flour. Perhaps there are oils in it that do this?

I'm hoping to store is well but don't know if it would be better in the cupboard with the other dried stuff or in the fridge as it 'may' be oily so I question it going rancid. Perhaps even in the freezer might be okay.

That's my experience with it so far. Would love some input.

Comments (7)