Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dandelion Head - Prep and Usage

Posted by bedtime 6a Southern Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, May 9, 13 at 11:42

I picked enough dandelion heads to fill a regular sized shopping bag. Dried them in the oven at 180F for 6 hours, then blended the dry dandelions down to a powder that can be stored in a mason jar.

The dried and blended dandelions have been compressed down about (wild guess) 10x due to being dehydrated and blended. I took a rolling pin and smashed them down even further so I could fit them all in. They fill a 1600 ml mason jar.

So you are probably wondering how they taste. I had my usual vegetable soup (potatoes, carrots, onions, beans and a few lemon tree leaves) and added one heaping tablespoon of the dandelion powder. It was so much better then expected. It was very sweet, so much that I'll just be using 3/4 tbsp next time. I also has a slight musky taste to it, which seems to suit vegetable soup well.

I've tried using the frozen dandelion heads (I have a shopping bags worth of them in the freezer as well) and I find the dried and blended powder to be so much more sweet, fresh, and tasty. It also has a nice soft texture to it which mimics that of ground flax seeds, unlike the powdery texture of flour. Perhaps there are oils in it that do this?

I'm hoping to store is well but don't know if it would be better in the cupboard with the other dried stuff or in the fridge as it 'may' be oily so I question it going rancid. Perhaps even in the freezer might be okay.

That's my experience with it so far. Would love some input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dandelion Head - Prep and Usage

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 9, 13 at 17:05

Wow - I've never heard of this at all!

Was it the yellow flowering heads, or the white make a wish heads?

did you leave the green calyx on? (think it's the calyx?)

o

tbird,

It was the yellow flowering heads though I found that when I dried them in the oven many did seem to turn into wish heads.

I left the green part on as taking it off would be far too much of a task.

o

I've never done this but I have made dandelion wine with the blossoms and I do love to munch on the petals. The petals are so yummy but the green calyx isn't. :^P

The petals would be a good salad sprinkle. And even kids like the taste of the petals.

FataMorgana

o

I have to do this drying dandelion greens. I have used it fresh many time in salads and by itsels. The bitter taste is like som lettuce variety which is good for bile(The Bitter Principle)

o

I used the flowers this year to make dandelion syrup. I'll have to give drying them a try next year. Thanks for giving me another use for this strange little plant.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 11:28

There are about 1-200 flower heads out there now.....I better decide what to do, lol!

o

Oh, what a geat idea, bedtime! The only way I have used (and very much enjoyed) dandelion flowers is by dipping them in an onion ring type batter & deep-frying them. Your use is ever so much more healthy!! LOL
It is past their main flowering time now but all summer it seems I still see an occasional one popping up around the yard so now I will save and dry each flower in my dehydrator along with my herbs.
Thanks so much for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here