Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_in_alabama

What herb grows like catnip?

I just cut down 2 catnip plants that had gotten probably 30 inches high and just about as wide (and now have enough catnip to dry to keep all the cats in Alabama happy). As a beginning gardener it was exciting see anything grow--but already I'm discontent and want to grow something I can actually use. (My cats like catnip, but these 2 plants were more than they could ever handle.) Is there any herb that would grow as vigorously--and survive over the winter as this catnip did? It's a full sun spot where salvia has also been doing well.

Comments (7)

• noinwi
    13 years ago

Mints, Lemon Balm(in the mint family as is Catnip), Thyme would be good for a sunny spot, also Chives will give you a run for your money. There are a lot of things that would over winter in your zone. What do you like to cook with?

• clueless_in_alabama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Actually, everything you mentioned sounds great: I make a lemon/thyme chicken in the crockpot all year 'round. And my husband would love chives available all year. Mint too would be nice to add to tea and tzatziki. Thanks for the suggestions--think I'll go buy some thyme, mint, and chives immediately!

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Oregano is also a vigorous grower and a perennial. Sage is one of my favorites and a beauty in the herb or flower garden. Be sure to get garden sage (Salvia officinalis). Some of the other salvias are not edible.

FataMorgana

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Although you probably won't catnip can be used as a tea. Use either fresh or dried leaves pour hot water over let sit for 5 minutes or until it is as strong or weak as you wish. If too strong just add hot water.

With every plant you should only use a little bit until you know if your body reacts. Some people have allergies or are taking medicenes that you should ask your doctor about interactions.

I do agree on the thymes. Basil's are annuals that you could plant and if you did not like. Oh well bees like the flowers and they will die with the first frost.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

My thyme is flowering right now, and it's so fun to watch all of the pollinators busy on those flowers. It's one of the few herbs I have growing in a container, so it's located in a spot where we can watch all of the activity up close.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

'And my husband would love chives available all year' Chives die down in winter so to have them all year round you would need to preserve them in some way. Same goes for mint. Freezing is best for chives. They end up like hay if you dry them.

• noinwi
    13 years ago

If you have a sunny window, your winters are probably short enough that you can pot up a small batch of chives to over winter as a house plant. It won't have as strong a flavor, but it may get you by for the winter. I had to do this with some catnip. The area where I usually harvest the wild growing stuff was mowed, so I had to bring in a small pot of it to keep the cats happy through our long winter. I put a little chicken wire cage over it to keep it from getting destroyed. It looks like carp, but the spindly stems grow through the wire so the cats can get to it. The oils aren't as strong, but it keeps the bratties happy.
    I have also frozen chives as Flora suggested. I just snipped it with scissors into a freezer bag, squeezed the air out and it lasted most of the winter(should have snipped a larger amount). I do this with cilantro also...not as good as fresh, but much better than dried for winter time salsa...freeze it flat and break off what you need.