Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about transplanting thyme & oregano

Posted by raisemybeds SouthernCT (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 12:10

Hello all - I have a mature thyme plant that has been coming back for me in a gallonish container for about 4 years now. Also a similarly potted oregano. Both look great, but I suspect they are seriously rootbound by this time. I have always top dressed them with compost as the season begins. Right now I have a whiskey barrel planter available and would like to transplant one or both of them into that and let it be their forever home. Will they do better in the larger barrel? Can both of them occupy the same barrel, or is there any complication from that? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about transplanting thyme & oregano

Because they both can produce seeds, you may get over crowding even in a bigger planter. My thyme does quite well next to my greenhouse and planted directly in the soil. It was originally started from seeds. I have three bushy plants of it now and all have returned to a bright green color after a cold winter and slight dormency. Oregano can also produce seeds and a few can survive and grow, so the planter may get over crowded. I think both are in the same herb family, so there should be no competition between the two.

o
RE: Question about transplanting thyme & oregano

If they both look great, why rock the boat?

Some plants like to be crowded, and the drainage in the pots must be just as they like it.

Maybe you are clipping them enough to keep them happy with what they have.

I personally have never had much luck repotting herbs, so I am biased, as you can see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here