Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill turning red and yellow?

Posted by Neuroticats none (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 12:19

First timer here. :o)

I planted a dill plant a few weeks ago and now half of it's turning red and yellow and somewhat wilted. I suspect it's dying, but, as my thumb is sorta beige and grey, I figured I'd come here and ask some real gardeners.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dill colors

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill turning red and yellow?

You planted a plant, correct? Not seeds? Dill resents transplanting and will often do poorly upon transplanting. Try direct sowing some seed. It is one of the easiest herbs EVER to grow from seed.

FataMorgana

o

Really? I thought planting seeds was the hardest way to grow something. Maybe I'm thinking of "one of the SLOWEST ways..." Oh well, shows you what I know.

Yes, this is a smallish plant that we picked up from a nearby nursery. It was doing so beautifully at first, growing and seemingly hardy, but the last few days it's turned colors. I'm wondering if it's not over-watered. The herb bed gets a couple of minutes of automated sprinkler 3 times a week and sits in 1/2 and 1/2 sun/shade here in Los Angeles.

Thanks for your speedy reply!

o

Some herbs are hard to grow from seed. Dill is not one of those. If you search through back posts here, you will see that direct sowing seed is the suggested method for growing both dill and cilantro.

There may be other issues. I can't say for certain. But I would suspect the lavender and some of the other herbs you have to have overwatering issues before a dill.

FataMorgana

o

Dill- easier to grow from seeds. Dill plants often go into shock when transplanting. Get some seeds, plant it, watch it grow! Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here