Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cilantro

Posted by tamsea z-5 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 12:27

I love Cilantro. They had two varieties at the store and I bought them both. Which is best? Coriandrum sativum (reg), Coriandrum sativum (delfindo).

Do most of you just grow herbs in your garden, or do you put it in pots on your patio?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cilantro

I realize that Cilantro bolts fairly quickly. Do most of you just replant it from seed to keep some growing?

o

Direct sow cilantro (coriander seed). Water. weed. harvest as needed. A couple weeks elapses during this time...

Repeat process for a steady supply of leaf.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks FataMorgana...appreciate your input.

o

I can only grow cilantro when lettuce wil grow. Too hot for lettuce, than too hot for cilantro.

o

Cilantro, one of my favorite herbs. You can plants this herb in a pot to put in your window inside your home or you can plant outside.

o

Delfino coriander is supposed to be fernier and slower-bolting than regular. I'd try both and see which you like better.

In zone 5, you can probably grow it during most of the summer. Re-seed often for a steady supply.

o

Tracy...a good thing to remember, thanks.
EnjoyHerbalGardening - I'm not sure if I have enough space or light there, but I think I'll try it because I just love it.
nygardener - just bought both, so I'll see if I like the other. thanks.

o

Here in Michigan I let it go to seed at the end of the season and it will come up in bunches by itself the next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here