Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Drying and storing herbs

CaraRose
10 years ago

I'd like to try and dry and store some of the oregano and thyme this year... maybe a few of the other herbs. How do you dry and store the herbs and what herbs best lend themselves to this?

Comments (3)

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Different herbs dry differently. I am just getting started at drying herbs myself. First off, flavor in dried herbs varies greatly depending on the herb. I have some books that tell you just don't bother, but done properly, they do dry and retain flavor, even such as basil and parsley (which in the grocery store resemble and taste like dried hay to me). But, I've dried basil and had it work well.

Oregano and thyme can be dried laid out on a mesh screen. You can strip them first or after (if you don't mind some stems). Fluff occasionally to rotate from bottom. Store the herbs as whole leaf as possible, waiting to crumble until you use them. If you don't have a screen, you can use paper towels, just make sure they stay dry (change them if wet).

I have been having really good luck drying chives in a fine mesh lingerie bag. For chives, you do need to chop them first (or you'll end up with hay) before drying. I lay the bag on a wire shelf in my basement with a fan nearby for air circulation. They dry in a couple days, though the entire basement will smell like onions. So far, I have not had luck in drying garlic chives.

Woody stem herbs generally hang to dry--rosemary, lavender, mint, sage. This can also work with thyme and oregano depending on the conditions where you're drying. Dry in a dark, warm place with good air circulation (or a fan to help).

Fine herbs like dill or fennel weed, need to be stripped before drying. Dry laid out on paper towels. I particularly enjoy a little fennel weed, and it's harder to find grocery.

I prefer to strip basil and lemon verbena prior to drying. I generally wash and hang them until dry to touch, then strip them and dry flat. Both can get a tough center vein on mature leaves that will need to be stripped out prior or after drying. Tarragon I dry in the microwave to prevent it from turning black, but I've heard that it removes more flavor doing it that way. But I dry because my Guild makes herb blends to sell, so we need the green leaves.

I would also love to hear how others do it.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Although you can dry chives and parsley, fern dill, but after wash and clean them, chop them and freeze them in zip bags.

With oregano and thyme, I would let them dry on stem, the separate the leaves. Store them in glass jars and keep them where I have all the condiments, herbs. Thyme and oregano maintain their aroma for a long time. But , I never dry basils and cilantro. In the process of drying , all their essential oils disappear .

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

Seysonn has a point--if you're just looking for small amounts and have the freezer space, you can preserve a lot more of the fresh flavor. It's faster, easier, and you don't have to worry so much about mold.

As for storing, I like canning jars in a dark cupboard. Especially if you find the tiny 4oz jam ones--they stack well, seal well, and are easy to keep clean.

I agree with the comment on dried cilantro--not much flavor left. But, I am okay with decently dried basil. The flavor is different than fresh, but it's there. I have a great blend I make using basil, sun dried tomatoes (the actual dried kind, not the refrigerator kind), minced dried garlic, marjoram, savory, and fennel weed. Lovely dipping sauce, bruschetta mix, and with olive oil over pasta.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County