Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

how to use chocolate mint

t-bird
10 years ago

My chocolate mint smells heavenly, but when I put it into a smoothie there was a distinct bitterness....

How do you use choc mint? Only for tea? Any smoothie recipes?

My spearmint was wonderful in a pineapple smoothie....but the chocolate mint was not.

Comments (5)

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I've used it infused in butter, then strained out and used for a mint chocolate torte. It was wonderful. It's also good infused into cream or milk for ice cream.

I've never had good luck using it on its own--maybe try a simple syrup out of it first?

• bcskye
    10 years ago

I've read within the last week that some bakers cut it into very fine pieces and add it to chocolate cake, chocolate breads and cookie batters for a really great flavor. I haven't tried them yet, but I have a fairly new, thriving chocolate mint plant and plan to do a lot of experimenting with it. I was even thinking of using it in some manner in jams and jellies.

• t-bird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

baloonflower,
    so with the infusions - you remove the leaf parts completely before using? How does the work with butter? do you strain when the butter is melted? Do you always use heat?

bcskye,
    keep us posted on the results, sounds like fun!

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I heat the butter just until melted, then add the mint. I allowed this to sit for several hours on the stove where it stayed mostly liquid in our summer heat, but you could go ahead and cover it and let it infuse even longer (or overnight) if you'd like. I then did reheat it, just until the butter was melted, and strained all leaf pieces out, pressing them with a wooden spoon to extract as much liquid as I could. I then weighed this against my original recipe, and I think I needed to add in an extra tsp or so of butter to bring the recipe back to balance due to what the leaves absorbed. The torte recipe came from The Herbfarm Cookbook by Jerry Traunfeld.

I do generally always use heat when I'm trying to infuse herbs into liquid, but not boiling heat. For example to make herbal vinegars, you heat the vinegar until it steams because the heat releases the essential oils in the herbs which contain the flavor. I do the same with cream base for ice cream--heat the liquid mixture, then add my mint or basil or whatever, then place it in a ziploc in the fridge at least overnight or longer to infuse before straining the herb out and completing my ice cream.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

To have the same effect, as mentioned above, you can use any kind of mint when you sauté something with onions or garlic, ginger.
    I just like them fresh with beef, fish, in sandwich ...