Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Flower with thin green stems around the blooms

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

I didn't take a picture, but thought someone would know right off what I'm talking about. It's either hyssop or bee balm I think, no leaves, long tall stem about 3 feet tall, a bloom at the end of the stem with little green stringy stalks or stamens around a flower that is almost blooming. What do you think that is? I looked at the base for leaves, but see none, none growing up the stalk, what do you think it could be?

Comments (10)

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A better description is like a chia pet with a purple like almost bloom, not a bloom like a pumpkin or lily, but one like maybe lavender? The green stalks or stamens surrounding the plant are only double thick and the middle is about the size of a quarter or so. It's not lavender I don't think, but I've searched the plant over from beginning to end, no leaf whatsoever. The bloom inside is only a 1/2 inch high dome shape. I don't have a camera right now, but tomorrow I can get a picture.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Hmmm......both hyssop and bee balm have leaves. A picture would probably help! :)

FataMorgana

• hortster
    13 years ago

No pic? Have to go with FataMorgana - need pix! However, look at the skeletonweeds. They fit your description...
    hortster

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a few photos of other weeds/herbs you also might be able to help me with, some you said you didn't know the name of, but thought they looked familiar.

This one is of a woodpecker, I just thought I would share some of the wildlife in the yard. I missed the ground hog and a bunny was running in the road in front of my house, missed that one too. Sorry to get off topic!

What do you think of these? Picture 2 is the one that looked like a giant chia pet with a bald crown. What about a chive flower? Those crinkly chives I had near there went away, but this is growing near where they were. Picture number is the little fuzzy thing at the bottom of my mullein plant. What is that? An herb?

• hortster
    13 years ago

#5 looks like one of the goldenrods, #6 a (yellowbellied?) sapsucker on a sugar maple.
    hortster

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Did you plant any alliums?

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted onions and chives. Not sure what alliums, thought that meant onions. I see it's a flower by photos, but no I didn't, could have been inherited by the previous owner, saw another across the yard. It looks like them, but no leaves at the bottom. The leaves on alliums are similar to that of tulips or lilies.

Horser, right on both counts. I can pull it now, it's a weed. Thanks for the help. A sapsucker, I didn't know another bird could make as much noise as a woodpecker, unless one was in a nearby tree and I didn't catch him, only the sapsucker.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

1 - Hibiscus?
    2 - Can't see it very well but perhaps allium vineale?
    3 - The "pine tree" like plant in the center? Perhaps horsetail Equisetum sp
    4 - Fleabane Erigeron philadelphicus I believe. The initial basal leaves are different than the mature leaves on the flower stalk.
    5 - I would say a Solidago sp. as well
    6 - Wildlife can be a side-benefit and joy of gardening!
    7 - Hibiscus?

FataMorgana

• coing
    13 years ago

What about a closeup of the flower in #2?

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted Southern Belle hibiscus and hibiscus love, both dwarf and I'm glad to see them finally. I almost weeded them a few times. I'm sure they have been identified, the one with all the bug bites I'll have to look into.

The allium vineale is definitely the plant! Thank you!

Horsetail Equisetum sp fits the description perfectly!

Fatamorgana, thank you so much. The wild garlic had lots of stringy chive looking leaves early on, so I thought since I planted it there, it must the the chives.

I didn't take this picture, but it looks identical to my plant.

Thank you so much! Number 4 is it oregano? It doesn't look like it, just thought I would ask. It's growing only mostly where I planted, so what about hyssop, or beebalm?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus