Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

rosemary questions

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

Hi all. I bought a small rosemary plant and just put it in a a larger pot that's about 14" across as I heard rosemary needs a lot of room to be happy.

I also heard that you should let it dry between waterings...be sure not to overwater it?

The label also said 'rosemary needs high humidiy� but how is one to create such an environment if it does not exist naturally where I live?

I used a good quality organic soil mixed with perlite and I topped the soil with wood mulch.

I also heard that you should bring rosemary indoors in the Winter in zone 6. Is that really true...I can't leave it outside covered in plastic and burlap? If I bring it indoors for the Winter, is there anything different I need to do while it's indoors...water it more/less? Cover the plant in plastic to help retain humidity since there will be heat on inside the apt? (I do know not to keep the plant anywhere near a heat source....;-)

Thanks all!!

Comments (9)

• suprneko
    11 years ago

Well rosemary does well here (NorCal) in dry heat. I suppose you could mist it but I wouldn't bother. My poor little rosemary survived my neglect and no water in a strawberry pot for 2 years. I've seen huge rosemary bushes in curb strips, I am sure they don't get any water either.

• Mari_88
    11 years ago

My understanding of herbs is that they tolerate a lot of conditions tht veggies or ornamentals would not. If you decide to bring the plant inside i would water it way less unless it takes a liking to your apartment and starts growing. I wonder if you had to leave it outside if you could cut it back close to the ground and mulch it really well and get it to come back in the spring. Snow makes a great insulator i know...you could still get fresh rosemary in the winter if you brought it in though!

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Rosemary is considered hardy only to zone 7 so keeping it outside for the winter in NYC is probably not an option. I would harvest and dry it at the end of season. You might be able to keep it alive indoors for the winter but mine always seem to die moving them indoors during Oct/Nov.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

I am zone 6/7 too.... I have overwinted (outside) a rosemary called "Arp." It is, supposedly, the most hardy rosemary and would be your best shot. It's "hardy to zone 6." Arp is sold here at every nursery and big box store.

Find a full sun spot that is also protected from winter winds in your yard and try Arp there... in ground. I think your plant would do better planted in the ground outside. The container won't protect it from the cold as well.... Also, the rosemary plants I have get too large to thrive in a container that size for long.

I don't cut my rosemary down...... it's evergreen and is a nice plant to have in the winter.

RE: humidity... that surprises me, since it's a plant that thrives in a low water situation. I live in the desert with low humidity and 5-7 inches of rain a year.... again, my plants are fine. Do not worry about misting the plant!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I'm guessing that the humidity caution arises for anyone trying to grow this plant inside. It is very difficult to keep a rosemary plant happy when brought inside after nice outdoor summer. You absolutely don't have to worry about them in your outside environment.

I don't know what you mean by your potting medium description. All container plants need a coarse textured, fast draining mix...one that you can drench thoroughly on watering day and then allow to dry out again. I never mulch my container plants with wood chips and I'd advise against it unless your medium is very porous.

I'm in Northern Alabama, with winter temperatures that likely compare to yours. "Arp" rosemary is used here as an ornamental shrub. I've had some in my garden for several years...even through winters of single digit temperatures and several inches of snow! Mine are planted in the ground, though, which makes a huge difference in hardiness.

• User
    11 years ago

Rosemary does quite well in the NJ/NYC Metro area. I used to just seek out Arp but now buy most any unlabeled variety and have no problem. Outside, they are rugged plants, but will need to be in the ground, in full sun in well-drained soil. Do not feed them. Have never had luck with them indoors in containers. Mine are hedges over two feet tall and tend to flower in March and April.

• Lynn Nevins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tx. NJoasis. Not sure what to do then...try to bring it indoors (I had someone tell me their mom brought the plant in every year and it thrived...) or keep it outdoors and just wrap the planter in plastic and burlap and just see if it comes back in the Spring (since I only have a balcony...no option to put it in-ground....)

• ritai
    11 years ago

Has anyone used epson salts to fertilize rosemary or any other herbs?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Many herbs don't require much fertilizer so the answer is, nope.

FataMorgana