Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surf1_gw

Is this Cilantro done and only good for harvest?

surf1
9 years ago

Cilantro was looking great, not it's been sorta wilting, and leaves starting to turn yellow. There's no seeds or anything so not sure there as people are saying I should be collecting seeds and replanting as I go. Some of the leave ends are turning a dead grown color, and in the interior looks kinda ferny I guess like it's "bolting" however looks nothing like pics I've seen on here of bolting cilantro. I live in South FL.

Comments (6)

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

The pot does have drainage holes, right? Just to rule out too much water.

• surf1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeh, all my pots have drain holes to the bottom tray thing. I don't know if it comes off on the smaller red ones, on my larger black pots that bottom piece snaps off. Looks wet right now as it started to rain so I moved the pots into the Florida room.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

It is ready for harvest. That will encourage new leaf growth. It's packed pretty tight, which is my guess why you're having leaf die off. Bolting will look different- tall stalks with flower umbels that will turn into coriander seed.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Yes, that bunch looks really full. Go ahead and prune some of them for eating.

In case you start getting more than you can use right away, there are ways to preserve the cilantro in the fridge for a longer time. I have also heard of freezing the cilantro. And finally, if you really don't want to preserve, maybe you can share it with friends and family or throw it in the compost bin.

• surf1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well not sure whats wrong but my Cilantro is horrible, taste like bittery mixed with lemons. Nothing remotley close to store bought Cilantro, and I remember at a time when it was like half way growing it had that same aroma/taste as store bought, not now though. Ughhh... that was a waste growing lol.

It also taste soapy too which I read about, however I've never had that soapy taste from store bought or friends. I did spray the plant with the water/soap/oil mixture like people on here say to do to get rid of aphids, but if that's the cause, whats the point of doing that and ruining your plant, I'll take the aphids instead.

I think it had signs of bolting like I posted above in that 3rd pic, there's ferny growth. I live in South FL and I know Cilantro needs at least 6 hours of sun, well you get plenty of that + heat/humidity with storms now. Looks like maybe I should have harvested a month ago?

This post was edited by surf1 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 9:31

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Ferny growth usually is the first signs of cilantro bolting. The taste does change with bolting. I have still used it after it starts to bolt but it is not as pleasant.

I have not used the soap combo on my plants before. Aphids are not generally a problem in my outdoor gardens where I grow cilantro. Even so, I would have expected rain should have washed off your soap but if you kept the plant indoors, that may have not happened.

FataMorgana