Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourfamilygarden

Feverfew

ourfamilygarden
11 years ago

The feverfew in my garden died after flowering last year. That hadn't happened before (there are other complications with a neighbor, so I'm not sure if that played a role. It did the year before).

Previous years, it flowered, but still grew. Can someone give me any ideas as to why this happened? It's budding now, and I want to make sure it doesn't die again this year, if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

It is a short-lived perennial. Your neighbor probably had nothing to do with the die off.

FataMorgana

• gjcore
    11 years ago

I've had it growing for about 4 years. It readily reseeds and collecting seed is very easy.

• ourfamilygarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both for the replies. I did lose a lot of plants as a result of what our neighbor did, so that is why I don't complete discount the condition of the soil playing a role in it.

It did reseed and come back this year, but it died last year immediately after blooming. Does it usually die after blooming? It hadn't in years past. Are there certain conditions that may help it to survive longer? It died out around July last year.

I'll look into gathering the seeds. I'm concerned about how to get it to last longer this year, as it died early summer last year.

Thank you.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

It tends to die whenever it wants though it usually that is some time after blooming and setting seed.

Some people hate feverfew for its ability to reseed and not respect the bounds in which they want to have it. Those tend to be folks with proper, fussy little gardens. I'm not one of those, but I've gone "medieval" on the feverfew from time to time when it gets too much. Although I've had some years where it is barely seen, I've never killed it completely. It always comes back.

I suspect this year is going to be a year filled with headaches for me since the feverfew is in a very wild and robust state this year after barely being visible at all in last year's gardens. Going to be stressful I think too...the valerian is also in an all time high. Oh boy! %^)

FataMorgana

• ourfamilygarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I replied to this last week, but I see it didn't show up for some reason? I must have hit the wrong button and thought it went through.

Thank you again for the reply Fata :) I've read that feverfew is very prolific. Oddly enough, it's not for me. LOL. It usually grows together in one section. I've rarely had it spread out. Funny how when you want something to be prolific, it's not, and when you don't, it is. LOL.

But, then again, I got it the year before the "incident" and that may be why.

Last week it had just started blooming. Hopefully it'll stay all season this year. Prior to "the incident" I had it straight through fall with no problem.

I've never grown valerian. I'll have to check that out :)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994