Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren75_gw

sage and chives are flowering

lauren75
13 years ago

What should I do? Cut them back or just let them do their thing? If anyone has some good recipes for either herb, that would be great...I have so much!

Comments (12)

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Both have beautiful blooms. Enjoy the blooms!

FataMorgana

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

Why, I wonder, are people so anxious to get rid of beautiful flowers? Or allow plants to Do Their Own Thing without intervention from humans? As Fatamorgana has said 'Enjoy the blooms!' And I'll add, 'eat them if you want, too!'. (Proviso - the sage must be Salvia officinalis - so many 'sages' aren't edible at all.)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I'd just add the proviso that when the sage finishes flowering it could do with a clipping over to remove the dead flowers. This will make it bush out a bit and slow down it's getting straggly. Unless of course you want to see if it will set seed and self sow.

• herbalbetty
    13 years ago

Chive blossoms are beautiful. I like to separate the flower head, which looks like a mauve pompom, into individual florets and scatter them in salads, or an omelette. You can also leave the flowers whole and make an infused chive blossom vinegar. The vinegar will take on a mauve tint. Use a white wine vinegar so you can see the color better. Of course, snipped chive leaf is classic on a baked potato. Sage is a marvelous culinary herb and there are WAY too many recipes featuring sage!

• randg
    13 years ago

My chives are flowering, too! It's the first time for my chives to flower and they do indeed look beautiful. If only my garlic chives would do the same and my sage...

• opal52
    13 years ago

Hummingbirds visit our common sage and chives, both of which are blooming now.

Here is a recipe for Mustard Sage Sauce. It's good served with pan seared pork chops, chicken and with firm fish like Tilapia or tuna steaks.

1 tsp. vegetable oil (Olive oil is best in my opinion)
    1 medium clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
    1 tblsp. Dijon mustard
    3 tblsps. unsalted butter (salted butter works fine no need to add as much table salt).
    1 tsp. minced fresh sage leaves (or more to taste)
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Cook garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, increase heat to high and simmer until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in Dijon mustard and butter until combined. Stir in fresh sage and add salt, pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    12 years ago

mine, too are flowering . Both chives and sage. Unfortunately I dont know which chives they are. Since I planted them garlic and onion chives,in a large pot tougher two years ago. They survived just fine outside through all winters stuff, too...
    thanks all
    Jean

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Simple way, the "onion" chives look the picture above, lavender pom-pom like flowers with round leaves. Garlic chives have white flowers with flat leaves. Of course there is the taste/smell differences....

FataMorgana

• catherinesevans_hotmail_co_uk
    12 years ago

Leave all herbs to flower as it helps bees regards nectar.There is a worldwide problem with lack of bees which could be crucial for mans existence.
    So leave your herbs to flower and feed the bees.
    Plus plpant simple flowers that bees love and wild flowers Just google bee loving flowers and get planting.

• sconnielill
    12 years ago

My sage is flowering too. AFAIK, Sage flavor is not changed when the plant flowers, so there's no reason to try and stop it. I was quite surprised since they didn't flower last year.

As for uses, sage goes great with roasted poultry, veggies and soup. I like to combine sage, rosemary and time (all fresh) when making gravy.

• riceloft
    12 years ago

"Proviso - the sage must be Salvia officinalis - so many 'sages' aren't edible at all."

How can I tell if this is the Sage I have? I purchased it in the herb section of a local garden center last year, but I don't have the identifier slip anymore.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Have someone who knows identify it for you.

FataMorgana