Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aphids?

Posted by margowicz none (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 14:10

I think I got aphids on my mint and lemon balm.

They are about 2mm or just bigger than a pin head green looking things the have been at my lemon balm and that looks like it about to die.

it is also at my mint plant but the two are approx 3 miles apart.

anyway I was wondering can you use castile soap onion and garlic to kill them I see on net you use onion garlic and cayenne pepper but I would rather ask those who may have had and dealt with the problem...

thanks in advance

PS - I can ask loads questions but this first time I took up gardening so I got a lot to learn I am sorry if I bit of a bug lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aphids?

Indoors or outdoors?

FataMorgana

o

Out side but in pots

o

Just wash them off with a hose or spray bottle. If you can lift the pots hold the plants under the tap and rinse. No need for weird concoctions which are more likely to cause trouble than get rid of a few greenfly. If your lemon balm is dying it is very unlikely to be caused solely by aphids. They often go for weak plants and generally just cause leaf distortion. Could you post some pictures of your herbs? It's always difficult to imagine your growing conditions.

o

No bother I will upload pics later but know this it is just pots on top of things I made 2 platforms from wood going to a scrap yard.... my dog kennel has wood across so I can get a platform for other things and my rosemarys are just on top of things like the oil tank and burner with what I got it all I could do really

o

as promised here is bay oregano and seedlings but it basic stuff which I gotta make space from noting it not perfect but when came here never once thought I would end up going at these this much

o

full light ones rosemary oreganos etc again no where near perfect

o

more rosemary trying keep thin as had problem with mildew

o

mints in shade only place could get them tbh

o

Well that set up looks fine to me although some of the pots look a little small. And why do you have them all up on things rather than on the ground? I think they just need to be left alone for a while to get on with growing.

o

I got a dog it won't leave them alone he chewed a bay tree of mine rosemary and a few others lol

o

will m int bounce back from aphids?even if it hits root or rock bottom?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here