Blue Spice Basil
Toothache Plant
Lemon Bee Balm
Bloody Dock
Red Yarrow

I am also making an order soon of a variable array of stuff:

Thai Basil
Purple Basil
Chameleon Plant (I'm aware that it's invasive)
Dill
Lemon Grass
Sweet Marjoram
Silver Mint
Mountain Mint
Ginger Mint
Italian Oregano
Creeping Rosemary
Tri-Colored Sage
St. John's Wort
Garden Thyme
Vanilla Grass
Vicks Plant

Quite a lot, I know, for one just starting but I had the money so I dove. Is there any particular herb that anyone would suggest? I also have a bunch of seeds that I have yet to plant but I wont go into those. I'm aware that people's tastes vary and such and that something could do better for one person than another, blah blah blah... Lol, sorry for the rambling.. anyway.. anyone have any Ideas?

~Ino***

Comments (7)

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

The question is why do you want to have herbs? Is it for cooking, visual attraction, medicinal?

You have a lot there and many need different conditions and are useful for different things. Some are annual, others perennial. Some are tiny, others enormous and aggressive. If you tell us your goals we can be more helpful.

This post was edited by flora_uk on Sat, May 25, 13 at 5:44

• Call.me-Ino8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whatever information I can get is more than I have now. I personally am more interested in the medicinal properties, but, as I'm selling my plants, my customers are wanting more culinary types of herbs. Visual attraction wouldn't be too bad either but I'll take what I can get. I'm not picky, I'll sit and listen to whatever you throw my way.

As for my goals... even if I don't get a suggested plant I just want to know as much about herbs as possible. What do bees like, butterflies, which are pest resistant, which are invasive, what medicinal properties they have, and stuff like that. As long as I think I can make some money or enjoy it personally, I don't care.

~Ino***

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You've got quite a selection, Ino.

I can think of few more: Marjoram , savory (summer and winter), thyme, sage, lavender, rosemary

Generally, the perennial herbs like well drained soil , slightly on the alkaline side, and require not much fertilizing. And of course love full sun.

Good luck

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

To me, especially if you're going to sell them, then you need to learn about them individually, by scientific name to make sure you're getting the proper info. Google works, or there's a ton of great books out there about medicinal and culinary type herbs. I know searching the forums, there's a couple posting in the herbalism forum about books. I haven't found any such posting in the herb forum, though one on people's favorite culinary herb books, or cookbooks would be fun.

Check out what your local library has. I'm personally a fan of "Homegrown Herbs" by Tammi Hartung as a nice basic book that talks a lot about various culinary and medicinal herbs. I don't know that she has all of what you listed.

• Call.me-Ino8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To Seysonn- I have lavander seeds and I'm ordering Marjoram, Thyme, Sage, and Rosemary... Although, I haven't thought of Savory... I'll do some research.

Good to know for perennials, me and my grandma both love them.

To balloonflower- I often go to Dave's Garden and get info from their "Plant Files" and I go to my local liberaries-- yes I have two-- and check out tons of herbal info. books. A lot of them are a little dated and don't have all of the ones I do, but I love looking through them and memorizing botanical names and uses and such. My grandma is starting a nursery and we shoot off botanical names at each other and confuse other parties that may be present, it's loads of fun.

I'm a HUGE fan of the edible wild plant books and encyclipedias, they have identification and uses all through them. Although, I have to admit I only know about six or so botanical names, basics like Agastache Foeniculum, Hyssopus Officinalis, Nepata Cataria... Lobelia Inflata... Stuff like that, kind of embarassing since I should know more, but oh well.

Thank you both for the info! ^-^

~Ino***

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

The back posts here have a wealth of information as well. Be sure to search them for specific topics and herbs.

Many of your herbs are easy to save seed from. Always let some of your best plants go to seed and save some seeds for future growing seasons. It is fun, connects you with thousands of years of agricultural traditions, and saves you cash. Hybrid plants are not the best to save seed from since the offspring do not grow true to the parent's qualities but you can always try it if you choose.

FataMorgana

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

As for Rosemary it would be best from cuttings over seeds. I do hope you are creating complete record on all your herbs that could be shared with your customers in the future. Not only the information you have gathered from other sources but also your successes and failures as each area has its own problems that you might enjoy sharing. Not all who purchase plants know anything about them and there are some that would blame you if the plant fails. I may be wrong but I always thought some customers would enjoy a print-out or instructions by way of an email. Just a thought.
    Enjoy your new adventure.
    Paul