Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my basil leaves

Posted by Bimaldshah Chandler, AZ (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 14:41

Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and they sprouted few weeks ago. I was very happy to see the fresh leaves when suddenly something started eating them. the plant is still only few leaves large and thus the damage is substantial. I don't see any brown spots like other do. Just chewing from the edges going all the way to the stem. Does anyone know who the culprit is and how do I prevent further damage? I have cilantro, garlic, etc. planted close by with no damage. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my basil leaves

It may very well be slugs. They love basil. To find out if it is, put out a few shallow dishes with raised edges (like the sauce cups you get a restaurants) and fill them about 3/4ths full with beer. Put them out near your basil plants right as it gets dark. Check the cups in the morning, and if there are drowned slugs in the beer, then you know what it is.

My mother used to do this with her gerber daisies and her basil plants. She said that slugs love beer and they would get into the cup/dish to get to it and then get drunk and drown lol. I havent done any research on this, but it always worked for her.

o

I feel your pain! Something always eats my basil, and it's MINE! I love using it in recipes and hate wasting the parts that have bug koodies on them! Whatever it is, eats my mint (which I don't care about) too! Parsley seems immune.

I might just try that beer trick!

o

I am just adding a comment to say I have had the exact same problem this year. I also was thrilled to see basil only to mourn the disappearance of all the seedlings within a couple days.

In our case, we don't have slugs here (dry climate.) I tried the beer thing to no avail to see if I could catch anything...

I'm looking forward to other replies...

o

Thanks everyone for the replies....I personally don't think it's slugs...I haven't seen any slime..... I saw a cricket hiding there once but I haven't heard anyone call out cricket as something that eats basil. I have spread used tea ground and dry mint around basil and the eating seemed to have reduced....am keeping an eye on it for now:-)

o

• Posted by josko Cape Cod (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 9:07

I have the same problem and twice now found toads lurking among the basil seedlings. Could they be the problem, or are they feeding on whatever is snacking on my basil plants?

o

Something munched on my basil too and i immediately blamed slugs so I set out handy dandy beer traps but the next morning it was obvious no slugs had come to the party. I sprinkled crushed up egg shells all around just in case slugs were lurking nearby. I am waiting for my local feed and supply to get in DE...that will be so much easier than saving egg shells!

What else would eat away the leaves?

o

Josko- Toads wouldn't eat the basil. They would be more interested in the bugs eating the basil.

Mari- Critters with four-legs also eat plants.

FataMorgana

o

Snails were eating my basil plants until I used cardboard cups without bottom to protect them. The snails won't climb on the cardboard to get to the leaves. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here