I'm planning on getting some

spearmint

lovage

horehound

chives

garlic chives

oregano

and basil.

I understand the basil and probably the oregano won't last too long, but I am under the impression the rest are perenials. I was wondering if I can grow them all in one big container, instead of getting a bunch of little containers for them. I would be taking the container in over winter. I was wondering if all the above have the same light/watering needs. If not, which ones would go best together?

Comments (4)

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

They won't do well together. It would be a battle between the mint and the oregano, for starters, which would dominate. The others wouldn't hold a chance with either of those two!

Garlic chives is much more aggressive than chives, so there's another problem.

Oregano is a perennial, BTW.

Horehound likes its conditions tough - dry. You really should grow it in a largish container by itself, because it can self-seed readily. It is a declared noxious weed in some areas.

The dry preferences of horehound cancels out the mint, the basil, and the lovage, all of which like moist conditions. Do you realise just how big lovage can get?? 2 metres tall and 1 metre wide. Basil is a bit shorter and fatter. Mint and oregano can spread as far as you like!

Frankly, there are so many problems with this bunch of herbs in together, I wouldn't even contemplate putting them in the same container! In fact, I never recommend putting any two herbs together. One will always out-compete the other. And, as I've already mentioned, herbs can get BIG!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Garlic chives here are only in small clumps, their seeds after flowering fall to the soil level and sprout new the following year. They have never spread beyond their location here, and reside right next to my chives. The regular chives can spread, but again, only if they have the tiny bulbils that form are placed in the nearby soil.

• mommie_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you guys, for saving me from a terrible mistake! I was just hoping to save myself from buying more pots, but it looks like I'll have to anyway. Oh, well.

• woodgnome
    16 years ago

i live in finland (though i'm from michigan). i haven't any experience with lovage or horehound, but i have grown the other herbs on your list. my best experience growing herbs outdoors has been to buy potted herbs from the grocery store and stuck them in the ground. a single pot of chives became four big clumps within two years and my mint, lemon balm and oregano were at least dinner plate-sized. in my current house i have 3 different basils in pots and i just potted sage, thyme and oregano and bought two largish rosemary plants.

if you decide to plant mints, oregano or lemon balm in the ground, keep in mind that they spread if they're happy and you might want to corral them or plant them in a largish pot in the ground. our chives grow in a large clump in the grass so when they get too large we just mow them down and let them grow again. they seem happy.