Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avi8tornole

Huacatay?

avi8tornole
16 years ago

Has anyone heard of huacatay? It is a S. American spice used a great deal in Peruvian cooking. My husband is from Peru and we have not seen this anywhere here in NW Fl or when we lived in Atlanta. I have gotten a hold of Aji Amarillo pepper seeds and just ordered Rocoto pepper seeds. I was thinking it might be nice to get a hold of some Huacatay. If anyone has this or knows where I might find some would you respond?

Comments (9)

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Well, I googled the latin name, tagetes minuta and came up with this... http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS16089

• arabid
    16 years ago

Hi Avi8tornole! Have you finally gotten hold of huacatay seeds? I'm interested in growing this herb as well. Where did you order Aji Amarillo pepper and Rocoto pepper seeds?

Thanks!

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

For all sorts of different peppers and tomatoes (hence the name!) try Totally Tomato. Link included below. I've ordered from them for a few years now and have good luck with their seeds. They have seeds to both the aji and rocoto peppers.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Totally Tomato

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Try these guys too for peppers of all kinds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper plants

• tumblingtomatoes
    15 years ago

Has anyone gotten any luck finding the huacatay seeds to buy?
    I also want to locate them to grow along with my aji peppers. Please let me know where to find the seed ifanyone has found them! Thanks!

• haydeecita
    13 years ago

I have a friend who sells fresh Huacatay and plants to grow it for a very reasonable price! :D Hit him up with an email, tjlutze7@verizon.net his name is Tony!
    Good luck n enjoy Peruvian food! :D
    -Haydee.

• kalim0803_aol_xom
    12 years ago

does anyone know how can I get the seeds/would love to add huacatay to my herb garden......I am Peruvian and remember the wonderful smell and taste of this delicious herb

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Multiple places if you google the latin name. Attached link for one such vendor.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Horizon Herbs - Mexican Marigold

• maly43
    9 years ago

I bought huacatay seeds at etsy.com.I am waiting for it to arrive.
    hope this help