Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Herbs in the Rose garden

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I have a front bed (about 30' x 8') where I'm planting some old-fashioned rose bushes. While it's clay soil, it's been amended with a LOT of aged horse manure and old hay. When we dug out the grass, about 10" of roots came out with it, so we added in a lot of soil from the horse pasture. The bed has sun until about 4 pm, then it's in afternoon shade. I need to fill in some space, since the roses are starting as small bands.

While I'm planning to put in some annual flowers and lots of alyssum, I also want to use some perennial and annual herbs. I already have some lavender (although I'll probably get more) but I'd love some herbs that won't be too invasive and will do well with the roses. In the back I have some damasks and a few climbers, while the front is mostly polyanthas and hybrid musks.

Herbs for cooking, tea, and potpourri are fine, but mostly I'm looking for well-behaved perennial herbs (not invasive, so I know mint is out) and annuals that either won't reseed or if they do, will not be invasive. I've heard dill is good...any other suggestions?

I appreciate you taking the time to reply :)

Comments (4)

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

Good companions for roses are:

French Marigold, Fruit Trees, Garlic, Garlic Chives, Hyssop, Lavender, Lemon Balm, Nasturtiums, Parsley, Rue, Sage, Tansy, Thyme, Tomato

• robiniaquest
    13 years ago

I have lemon balm and garlic chives planted with some of my roses (bourbons and gallicas), and I consider both to be invasive, but not to the point of harming the roses. They do spread like mad, though, and I'm forever pulling them out. I don't mind it, because I think they look nice with the roses.

Believe it or not, I also have different types of mint planted everywhere, and some can play nice with roses - like grapefruit mint, orange mint, apple mint, pineapple mint,peppermint, and chocolate mint. Banana mint has been so weak for me that the roses threaten it! Spearmint is the one to really look out for. I've had lots of other mints swallowed up by spearmint. But not lemon balm - it can really hold it's own!

English lavender is kind of funny, and I finally learned to position it well away from my roses, because they tend to shade it, swallow it up, or keep the environment just a tad bit on the moist side. But the bigger lavenders, like Grosso and Provence have done well with roses in my garden. Sage is another one that I think needs careful positioning to live well with the big OGRs.

Bronze fennel is beautiful with roses, and does well, as does parsley. Lastly, an odd pairing I didn't think would work, but did was rosemary with climbing bourbons. I had some large rosemary plants that needed an new home, and I stuck them in front of some mature roses, thinking that was probably stupid. They thrived there, and lasted several years until killed by a severe winter. It was really pretty.

• robiniaquest
    13 years ago

I have lemon balm and garlic chives planted with some of my roses (bourbons and gallicas), and I consider both to be invasive, but not to the point of harming the roses. They do spread like mad, though, and I'm forever pulling them out. I don't mind it, because I think they look nice with the roses.

Believe it or not, I also have different types of mint planted everywhere, and some can play nice with roses - like grapefruit mint, orange mint, apple mint, pineapple mint,peppermint, and chocolate mint. Banana mint has been so weak for me that the roses threaten it! Spearmint is the one to really look out for. I've had lots of other mints swallowed up by spearmint. But not lemon balm - it can really hold it's own!

English lavender is kind of funny, and I finally learned to position it well away from my roses, because they tend to shade it, swallow it up, or keep the environment just a tad bit on the moist side. But the bigger lavenders, like Grosso and Provence have done well with roses in my garden. Sage is another one that I think needs careful positioning to live well with the big OGRs.

Bronze fennel is beautiful with roses, and does well, as does parsley. Lastly, an odd pairing I didn't think would work, but did was rosemary with climbing bourbons. I had some large rosemary plants that needed an new home, and I stuck them in front of some mature roses, thinking that was probably stupid. They thrived there, and lasted several years until killed by a severe winter. It was really pretty.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Garlic is a well-known companion plant for roses and a well-behaved garden member.

Herbs that prefer rich soil with average water needs would be good companions to roses. Many things fit this description. I'd probably not grow the Mediterranean herbs like rosemary, sage, and thyme with the roses. I don't think the amended clay will be to their liking - my gardens are all amended clay or just plain old clay. I would keep the Mediterraneans in a raised bed with exceptionally well draining soil that has not been so richly amended.

Nasturtiums would look beautiful underplanted. So would violets. Marigolds like the gem ones stay small and would be quite pretty - their foliage is attractive too. Calendula is favorite of mine and grows well. Chamomile would be nice. Parsley, kale, and swiss chard are all nice foliage plants. Some chards and kales are really attractive. Chili peppers are pretty and full of herby goodness. Marsh mallow is a taller plant that you can think of as a petite pink, hollyhock. Bee balm has nice blooms and will do wonderfully in a spot that is partially shaded by a larger plant. Tons of others to mention and choose from as well!

FataMorgana