Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Herb/Weed ID Help/pics

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

I've had a lot of luck on here so far, so I'm trying again. Do you recognize any of these plants:

1. I planted summer savory, rosemary, lavender, and summer and maybe even winter thyme. Do you think its one of those?

2. Don't have a clue, but maybe a weed. It's growing in the right place it could be something, but no guess. I've looked at other things, no clue as of yet.

3. Maybe the Hibiscus I've been waiting for, bee balm? I planted both of those. Can you take a guess? Maybe a weed?

4. This I'll guess again like in picture 1, thyme, rosemary, or savory? Different flower color, maybe a weed?

This is definitely a weed, but would like the name of it. It's growing everywhere and the plant is huge. If you know, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

1. Do you mean the little blue flower in the centre? If so it looks like a Veronica but it's rather fuzzy so don't quote me. 2. I don't know what that is but it is definitely not any of the herbs you mention. 3. Don't know - too out of focus to id but possibly some kind of Ranunculus 4. Don't know but definitely not a hibiscus. 5. Dock = Rumex sp. not a herb

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The leaves on number 4 don't look like that of a Ranunculus, but it could be. 5 looks like dock for sure. Number 1 is a long very fine and thin plant, so I'm looking at veronica and don't see the same leaves or it's fine stem.

I'll get a better picture tomorrow, the thunder outside says it might rain.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

1. I'd have to guess a Veronica as well. A different picture may tell a different story.
    2. I know I've seen this one but I'm just not remembering at the moment.
    3. As with #2, you can let these mature some and the ID will become easier or you could ask on the Name that Plant forum. There are some simply amazing folks there!
    4. Inspite of the fuzzy picture I can help you here. It is a small-flowered crowfoot Ranunculus abortivus.
    5. Definitely a dock, Rumex sp. Perhaps Broadleaf dock Rumex obtusifolius or yellow dock Rumex crispus. I harvest yellow dock root for medicinal purposes. The root is long in mature plants and will require digging if you want to get rid of it.

FataMorgana

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you on the Ranunculus abortivus, it looks just like the leaves and the flower. No argument about the dock, and I'll read up on what it's for. I usually just mow it, not dig it up.

This is a better photgraph found on google:

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/weed.asp?veronica

This Veronica one too, I agree with.

As for number 3, What about this photo found on the internet:

I bought dwarf Hibiscus love, which is the one above, and dwarf Southern Hibiscus,

Southern Hibiscus:

It looks like Hibiscus Love to me, but it might be wishful thinking.
    I appreciate your help, so I know to pull them. As nice as the plants might be, something else is supposed to grow there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veronica

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

Sorry - I got the numbering out of synch. ... unlike fatamorgana. Sometimes I can get the Genus from knowing my own native plants but can't do the species because I don't know US natives much. The Ranunculus is an example - we don't have R abortivus here.

SD you said 'The leaves on number 4 don't look like that of a Ranunculus, but it could be.' The thing is that there are lots of different species in some genera so there only knowing the genus is not the whole story, just a starting point. Having looked up R abortivus I find that one of its comon names is 'kidney leaved buttercup'. So that shows you that the leaves were sufficiently special to give the plant a name. The more one learns about plants the less one will realises one knows - but Jefferson said it better.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

The small-flowered crowfoot (R. abortivus) has two very distinct leaf types on the same plant. When I first spotted it last spring I had to sit down with Newcomb's Wildflower Guide for a while to come up with it. I included a picture below I took this spring. It shows both the different leaf types it has. The "kidney" shaped leaves are the lower ones. Not very spectacular as a wild flower but an early bloomer.

FataMorgana

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree with you one 1 and 4 and they both have different types of leaves shaped like that of a kidney, some with more leaves attached to the kidney, and none that look like my herbs.

Number 3 is either hibiscus or hyssop, don't you think it is similar? It's hard matching photos and with every true herb/flower there are 4 or more weeds to match.

I needed to get better pictures of both anyway, but I have to go to work in a few hours and a have a few things to do. It would be nice to definitely know what they are.

Thanks for your help, and you have all been right with all of them.

Number 2 can't be oregano right? I'm sure not, but its turning into a nice substantial plant wherever it grows, I'm curious to see what weed it is.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz