Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Should I move my sage?

lilion
11 years ago

I've never grown sage before. I got a start from the store planted it this year in the middle of my garden, but now I'm thinking I may have made a mistake. My bed is only 4x7 and I'm reading now that sage will live several years in my zone? It's only been in the ground about a week. Should I move it to a pot or off to one side, more out of the way? Will it take a little shade? My raised bed butts up to my patio and the house shades one end a little bit of the day - from about 4 p.m. on. I usually grow lettuce and spinach there, but this year the lettuce already bolted and the spinach never even came up, but I grew a zucchini in that spot once with no problem. (I let it trail over the concrete.) I already have rosemary there, planted the same time. I could switch the two so the rosemary is in the middle as I know it won't overwinter here.

Comments (11)

• lgteacher
    11 years ago

Rosemary will get many times larger than the sage. That being said, you can move it if you take some of the surrounding soil with it. The object is to break as few roots as possible. After only a week, the roots probably haven't spread that much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parsely, sage, rosemary, and thyme

• lilion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think I've had that much luck with rosemary. The largest I've ever had it get is a couple feet and then it does not survive the winter. Zone 5ish is apparently too cold. My oregano overwintered this past year, but it was a freakishly warm winter. I didn't even try to overwinter my rosemary, just cut it off at the ground and dried the whole plant. But if common sage will overwinter in my area, I can't really have a big plant in the middle of my little garden bed. I have pots...I could just move them both, but then I don't know what I'd plant in their places.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Sage, Salvia officinalis...full sun all the way. They pine if put in anything less, especially for zones like ours. Sage is not a long lived perennial. They peter out after maybe 5-6 years, though I have had them live as long as 10 years.

After only 1 week, it probably hasn't set much root yet so if you are going to move it, do it now.

FataMorgana

• lilion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

5-6 years is a long time for me. Only thing I've had live that long has been hostas and peonies. The biggest problem is I have a really shady yard. I could put it in a pot, so long as I don't have to bring it indoors in winter, my house is so dark I can barely keep philodendron alive. I swear, my next house is going to have windows that actually let in LIGHT and treeless yard! Anyone know how big of a pot would it take? Other than potting it, I'm just not sure where I can plant it. I understand they only get a couple feet tall, but can be wider than that? How long does it take to get that big?

I want everyone to know I feel like an idiot here. I was just thinking, "Oh it's an herb. Grow it just like you do any other herb." and I didn't even look into it. I'm normally not quite so much of a dunce gardener.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Goodness knows we've all bought things that we didn't look onto before buying or planting so don't feel bad. It is how we learn and in the garden there are an endless supply of second chances.

Sage won't fare well indoors for the winter. Plant it in the sunniest spot you do have and see how it does. Just make sure the soil where you plant it drains well. That is key to winter survival.

FataMorgana

• lilion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, a pot on my patio or by my front door might be best if I can sufficiently winterize it. They are by far the sunniest spots I have. In fact, I grow my cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes in containers for that reason. Maybe I could pile leaves and such around it? I have no shortage of those. If I go that route, how big of a pot do you think I should use? Thanks!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I grew up in Michigan we had a Sage bush that had to be 20 years old most of the branches were hard woody limbs. Grandma took her cutting from the ends. It was under a pear tree but got the morning sun and filtered sun in the afternoon. I know it was still alive up to six years after we moved there. My experience with growing any have not been good. Thought I had a couple great plants, nice size plant with beautiful blooms. But within a few days after blooming both plants died.

• jll0306
    11 years ago

FataMorgana,

I would amend your statement to be sage won't thrive indoors without a lot of light. I kept a pot of sage and thyme starts hanging in a sunny south facing window last winter with some supplemental CFC light from a floor lamp, and when I remembered to water and fertilze (mildly), they actually grew a fair bit.

I have put them outside to be transplanted this weekend and since they share a one gallon pot, I will be curious to see if they are completely rootbound by now.

Jan

• lilion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I moved my sage to a pot yesterday. I couldn't get to it sooner and hope I didn't leave it too late. I heard roots tear when I lifted it, but all I can do it wait and see. Thanks so much to all who replied.

• lilion
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It doesn't seem possible, since I just moved my sage to a pot five days ago, but the thing took off like a shot! I swear, it's half again as big as it was when I moved it! Thanks again everyone who responded to my original post. I'm amazed and pleased.

• ghoghunter
    11 years ago

I have a Salvia officinalis growing in a large pot on my patio in full sun and it overwintered and bloomed beautifully this Spring. I may be warmer than you are but I didn't give the pot any protection and the sage did fine. I live PA a little Northeast of Philly..zone 6b-7

Joann