Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Umm...Exactly how do I prune my catnip plant? )(

Posted by rivera30067 7b (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 16:22

My catnip plant has gotten rather tall and I want to prune it back some, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this. I've never pruned a plant :P I've pruned..well, butchered bushes, but that's the extent of my pruning knowledge.

Someone told me I should cut the stem all the way down to it's first leaves on the very bottom, but that didn't make sense to me. How will I enjoy flowers later if I prune it down that far?

Go ahead and have a good chuckle or two. :P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Umm...Exactly how do I prune my catnip plant? )(

Just trim it off all the way around and chop off its head. Don't remove more than one-third of total growth at any one time, then allow the plant to regenerate before trimming again. Pruning is not an exact science with most plants, especially the shrubby ones.

Dry the prunings and put them in sachets and toys etc for your cats to enjoy!

o

Will it still make flowers this ummer if I prune it back?

o

Trust us you'll have flowers this summer. Catnip is a very hardy herb, it can take a licking and still keep ticking. I've tried to eradicate mine by pulling up instead of digging out the roots and it keeps coming back. I prefer its more managable cousin catmint and so does my cat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here