Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Genovese Basil Sprouts

Posted by rocktrns (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 16:25

Ok about 4 days ago i planted some Genovese Basil Seeds,and now there sprouting. I realized that I have at least 50 sprouts,but i want to keep them all I tried transplanting 2 sprouts but the leaves just broke off so should I wait until they get bigger? I'm Planning on buying about 12 plastic plant pots and some dirt and then when they get bigger I will transplant atleast 2-3 sprouts per pot please tell me the next step I need to take. They are very crowded and I'm worried the crowdedness will stunt there growth when will be the right time to transplant the sprouts to there own containers?
HERE Are some Pictures

http://tinypic.com/r/ta24qg/5

http://tinypic.com/r/dzb4zq/5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Genovese Basil Sprouts

Based on your pictures, I would definitely wait until they get their first real leaves. They don't look too crowded from the pics. They can go a bit longer before it being a problem.

Congratulations on all your little babies! :)

Erin

o
RE: Genovese Basil Sprouts

I agree with Erin. What you've got now is the cotyledons. Before you can handle those babies to transplant them they should have some true leaves. Actually, it's sometimes better for the little plants to just thin them. (I know it's hard, and I always feel a bit like a murderer when I do it...) Basil grows so quickly that you might want to consider getting your pots now and just planting your seeds directly into those pots. Put 1 or 2 seeds in each area where you want a plant, and thin the weaker one out. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here