Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basil with small dry brown spots on leaves

Posted by Gardener103 Maryland (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 16:33

Hello. I am not a very experienced gardener , so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My basil plants , which are about 6 - 7 inches in height , but still young , have begun to develop small , round , dry spots on the leaves. Not all of the plants are affected , and not all of the leaves are either. It seems to happen on the more bigger , slightly yellow leaves.

I don't know for sure if I water them to much. I typically try to water them every 2 days , and here in Columbia , MD it's pretty hot and sunny,

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basil with small dry brown spots on leaves

I am new to gardening myself and my basil was doing the same. I live in RI and watered every 2-3 days and it looked like I was leaving them in the sun to long but was told I was watering them to much. (Honestly I dk how people can tell.) What I did though and it has improved my plants a little is water every 2-3 days depending on the heat and I started putting them in areas where they had full sun for only 6-9 hrs a day. Once they bulked up a little I put them in brighter spots. This did not fix the problem completely but it did help a lot. Hope it helps you.

o

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can move them out of direct sunlight and water them a little less.

o

coll temps are basil killers. I am having a problem with it.
Up until last Thursday we had a lot of cold nights(41F to 44F) Two of my nursery bought seedling are almost dead. The ones planted out side from seeds (long time ago) although have not died(because they have been REALLY hardened off) but just sat there. Watering is just an excuse. If the soil has normal drainage, excess watering will not cause major damage.
There goes my 5 bucks, for not paying attention.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here