Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Sage

CaraRose
10 years ago

Should sage (common garden) be "mowed" down so it does new growth every year? I saw some sites out there that recommend this.

Ours is quiet large -- 2 1/2' high and at least that much across-- but has died off in the middle. My (late) father planted it, and never did any sort of pruning. I've been loath to do too much to it since I would hate to kill it with kindness.

Comments (9)

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I would not. Especially in our colder zones where the growing season is so short to begin with. Pinch out leaves at the end of branches to encourage bushier growth.

Be aware that sage is a short-lived perennial. Since it is larger plant, can you layer any of the branches to start new plants? Or collect some seeds to sow some new young plants? I would hate to see a special plant vanish for you and these may give you some ways to extend its life with you.

FataMorgana

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

The only reason to completely prune it back would be to control the size, and one one that big, it might kill it off, or at least set it back a couple years. I do keep mine, which are in a container relatively small (about 10-12") so they don't take over. But, I do it consistently, and leave some of the woody growth to resprout for the next year. And doing this does limit the number of useable leaves I have available to me.

I think you will be much better off letting it go until after it flowers, then pruning it back by no more than a third of the plant (preferably 1/3 of each branch tip). That way you can control some of the sprawl, but keep the plant healthier and bushier.

If the center part is truly dead, then go ahead and prune the dead sticks out, but this has been such a crazy spring, you may yet see some growth in there if you leave it a bit longer.

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FataMorgana- layering-- is this the same as tip layering as you'd do with blackberries to get the tip to root?

It's a fairly old plant-- at least five years old. I've planted a new sage in a bed blocked out in my cinderblock garden, but I would like to keep this one, or at least part of it. My dad loved it since he killed 2/3 of what he planted and this plant thrived.

The center is pretty well dead. It died back in the center last year, and the branches are now rotted out and just pull off from the middle. The two sides are very healthy, not blooming yet but covered with buds.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Layering in this case is not tip layaering. What you do, take a low, close to ground branch and bring it down further(or on a small mound) . Use a slightly opened up hair pin to hold i down. Again pour some more soil on that spot. Keep it moist. It will root after a while. Then you can cut it off from the mother. Now you have a baby plant of its own.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

You can always take cuttings to start lots of new plants they are easy to start. I just gave away 2 and kept 4 for myself. They did not miss a lick here in Texas.

• balloonflower
    10 years ago

I love the idea of starting some new ones from "Dad's" sage. Rooted cuttings could make nice gifts too.

When you try and layer the sage branches, do you nick the bottom of the branch?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

"

Q: "When you try and layer the sage branches, do you nick the bottom of the branch?"

A: No nicking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• sunwyn
    10 years ago

Oddly enough, I have a sage plant that is 18 yrs old. It get a little sparse in spots but it is still growing well and blooms abundantly. Every year I expect it to be the year it dies but it never does.

• t-bird
    10 years ago

Sage lovers....I love using the flower buds for seasoning before they open....mine are almost ready.

It is a much gentler strain of the flavor