Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudosfromudo

Different varieties of papalo?

KudosFromUdo
11 years ago

I have papalo seed from 4 different vendors for a while now. Last year I only planted seed from one vendor and let enough plants go to seed to collect a gallon size freezer bag full. My family and the ranchers I work love Papalo so I decided to dedicate an area just for it this year and dump all the old seed into the plot. One of the vendors seed, I think I got off of EBay, came up with purplish tinged leaves. It also doesn't have quite the intense flavor as the other 'normal' plants and has sort of a meaty aftertaste. I need to eat more if it and mixed in with food to determine if I like it more or less than the normal variety.

I didnt even think the seed would grow, all the seed had seperated from its feathering(or whatever you call it) in the bag. Whenever I see Papalo listed its always listed as generic 'papalo'. I have never seen different varieties listed. Should be interesting to see what these plants look like when the get bigger.

The different variety has the purplish leaves, the normal plants are behind it and all green. Next week I will begin to thin out the rows.

Hmm how do you post a pic on this forum?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)